CSU Board of Trustees approves TSU plans

The Cal State Fullerton Board of Trustees approved a schematic plan for Cal State Fullerton to proceed with the design and construction expansion of the Titan Student Union expansion project Tuesday.

The project aims to establish a new focal point and entry for the building and also provides additional dining and social space for.

The Titan Student Union was originally built in 1976 and has only had one expansion, completed in 1992.

The building cost is estimated at more than $13 million which is about $491 per gross square foot. The addition will be funded through CSUF from the Titan Student Centers and the Associated Students, Inc. program reserve funds, collected from student fees.

In a cost comparison, the project is also slightly more costly than the student union addition at San Jose State University and another student union addition at Cal State Channel Islands.

This project is expected to be more costly because of CSUF’s below-grade construction and the planned curtain wall system that includes high performance glazing. The glaze curtain walls help with transparency with the new additions and maximizes daylighting and views around the building.

The board also approved an agreement between the CSU Board of Trustees and the Statewide University Police Association. The agreement is for a four-year term ending in 2018, with a salary increase of 2 percent each year of the agreement.

Other terms in the agreement have to do with retention of long-serving officers and increasing the numerb of senior officers on night shifts. These changes were approved to improve recruitment and retention of quality police officers and to encourage more senior officers to take night shifts on campuses, which was referred to as a critical time in campus operations.

Also approved was the adoption for opening negotiations with the State Employees Trades Council—a union representing skilled workers—and the Academic Professionals of California, which represents over 2,000 academic counselors statewide.

Some of the proposals presented by the two groups include benefit and salary and other amendments to articles.