CSUF softball to host Cal State Bakersfield for midweek doubleheader

Senior first baseman Eliza Crawford hits a grounder in the infield. The Titans will welcome the Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners to Anderson Family Field Wednesday for a doubleheader. (Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan File Photo)
Senior first baseman Eliza Crawford hits a grounder in the infield. The Titans will welcome the Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners to Anderson Family Field Wednesday for a doubleheader.
(Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan File Photo)

The Cal State Fullerton softball team is on a six-game winning streak, its longest of the season, and the team is looking to keep the momentum going.

Fullerton can extend its streak with a pair of wins in a doubleheader against Cal State Bakersfield Wednesday.

All of the Titans’ last six victories came in doubleheaders, showing that they have the stamina to stay sharp for hours. Out of the six wins, four were shutouts, including one five-inning game due to a mercy.

The Titans boast a 20-12 record and their hitting has been hot recently.

Junior third baseman Missy Taukeiaho provides the offensive firepower for CSUF, batting at a .424 average with eight home runs and 30 runs batted in. Opposing pitchers have been shy about pitching to Taukeiaho, which has allowed her to draw 21 walks to give her a .531 on base percentage.

The Roadrunners’ pitchers have given up 11 home runs this season, a misleading stat, because they have also played seven fewer games than the Titans.

Two outfielders, junior Courtney Rodriguez and sophomore Delynn Rippy, follow Taukeiaho in batting with .423 and .380 averages, respectively.

During the six-game tear, the Fullerton team has been consistent in the circle, pitching three consecutive shutouts. Looking to continue that hot streak in the circle will be Desiree Ybarra. The junior leads the Titans with a 2.53 earned run average and 47 strikeouts.

The Titans have had an eight-day layoff since they last competed, while the Roadrunners (12-13) are currently on a six-game homestand. The team swept both Western Carolina University and Boise State in doubleheaders before dropping one of two against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on Tuesday.

Junior outfielder Sydney Raeber is a surge for CSUB at the plate. She leads the team in hits (27), RBI (13), runs scored (10) and batting average (.365). Senior pitcher Kelsie Monroe (8-5) boasts a 2.63 ERA and 59 strikeouts. Expect to see her start against the Titans Wednesday.

Last time the Titans took on the Roadrunners was last year in a doubleheader played at CSUB. Fullerton finished in front the first game, 6-2, while the second game ended in a 10-10 tie after darkness halted the game.

Game one will begin at 3 p.m. and game two will ensue about 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one.

After the Bakersfield doubleheader, the Titans will enter their Big West Conference schedule against UC Santa Barbara.