CSUF women’s tennis returns home to get back to .500

Sophomore Camille De Leon powers a backhanded shot at her opponent. De Leon is 6-4 in the No. 2 spot of the singles  lineup and 9-6 in the No. 1 doubles slot with partner Megan Sandford.   (Matt Corkill / Daily Titan File Photo)
Sophomore Camille De Leon powers a backhanded shot at her opponent. De Leon is 6-4 in the No. 2 spot of the singles lineup and 9-6 in the No. 1 doubles slot with partner Megan Sandford.
(Matt Corkill / Daily Titan File Photo)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team will look to right the ship when it returns home for a pair of non-conference matches against Colorado State and Wyoming.

The Titans (7-9 overall, 0-5 Big West) dropped both their contests in Honolulu last weekend, suffering defeats to Southern Methodist University and Hawaii.

However, the Titans are back to the friendly confines of the Titan Tennis Courts, where they hold a 7-3 record. Fullerton will look to take advantage of a Colorado State team that is in the midst of a six-game road trip.

The Rams (4-6 overall, 0-1 Mountain West) will be coming in with a two-game winning streak including a sweep of Vanguard on Tuesday.

The early doubles point will be crucial to set the tone of the match. The No. 1 pairing of sophomore Camille De Leon and redshirt senior Megan Sandford have amassed a 9-6 record in the top spot.

The Rams will counter with their top duo of Natalie Heffron and Adriana Wojakowska, who are 5-3 on the season.

CSUF’s No. 1 singles player, Alexis Valenzuela (7-3), has been battling a nagging back injury all season long and has had to sit out occasionally in singles matches. If healthy, the sophomore will likely face Heffron, who holds a 3-5 record in the No. 1 slot for the Rams.

Heffron has also missed time recently due to an illness, but returned for the sweep over Vanguard.

De Leon will likely step onto the court as the No. 2, a spot where she holds a 6-4 record.

Senior Kalika Slevcove, who plays in the No. 6 slot, will look to bust out of her five-game losing streak and gain a point from the bottom of the lineup.

The Titans will have a day off before hosting the Wyoming Cowgirls (6-5 overall).

The Cowgirls enter with momentum, winning three of their past four matches. Wyoming has had mixed results away from home, going 2-2 in their road contests.

The Cowgirls are lead by redshirt freshman Magdalena Stencel, who has gone 5-3 in the top singles spot.

Stencel pairs with senior Jessica Parizher for the No. 1 doubles slot, and the duo holds an even 3-3 record on the season.

First serve at the Titan Tennis Courts is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. both Wednesday against the Rams and Friday against the Cowgirls.

Both Colorado State and Wyoming will prove good non-conference tests for the Titans before they finish their schedule out against three Big West foes.