Grand Central Art Center to present relatable drama ‘Really Really’

In Arts & Entertainment, Theater & Arts
Chelsea Harvey (left) and Evette Torres (right) play Haley and Leigh respectively in the contemporary drama Really Really. The play is presented by the Grand Central Art Center and opens Friday in the Arena Theatre on campus. (Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan)
Chelsea Harvey (left) and Evette Torres (right) play Haley and Leigh respectively in the contemporary drama Really Really. The play is presented by the Grand Central Art Center and opens Friday in the Arena Theatre on campus.
(Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton’s College of the Arts will perform the play Really Really at the Clayes Performing Arts Center, Arena Theatre on Friday.

Really Really is a contemporary drama by Paul Downs Colaizzo that deals with the struggles of today’s youth like sexual harassment, the pressures of school and achieving goals after school.

The story starts with Leigh and Grace, two college students, entering into their living room laughing after a night of drinking at a party at their friend, Davis’ place.

Grace is bleeding from her hand but seems fine. Leigh has no injuries but seems far more hurt.

Everyone believes Davis and Leigh had sex at the party, however Leigh has a boyfriend, Jimmy, Davis’ friend. Jimmy did not attend the party held at his friend’s house.

What really happened at the party is something that “the playwright leaves it somewhat ambiguous.” said Sarah Ripper, director of Really Really.

Really Really is super relevant to (college students) and touches on topics that are relevant and need to be talked about now more than ever,” said CSUF student, Chelsea Harvey.

Ripper chose Really Really from a variety of plays suggested to her, she said.

“I read the play and I thought that (Really Really) had such a strong message,” Ripper said.

The play is intense, edgy and funny because it deals with college students and it will connect well with CSUF students, Ripper said.

Although the play deals with college students, everyone in the audience can relate to the characters, Ripper said.

The cast includes Evette Torres as Leigh, one of the main characters. Christopher Yu plays Davis.

Sean Ellner plays Cooper and Miguel Castellano plays Johnston, they are Davis’ friends.

Timmy Jasperson plays Jimmy, Leigh’s boyfriend. Adaeze Emeahara plays Grace, Leigh’s friend.

Chelsea Harvey plays Haley, Leigh’s sister. “(Haley) also serves as the comic relief of the show and tries to get more information about what’s going on,” Harvey said.

The play is presented by Grand Central Art Center in Santa Ana.

Really Really begins playing on Friday and runs until March 28.

General admission tickets are on sale for $5 at the box office or online. All tickets will be $10 at the door.