Battle of the Bands winner One11 to open for Spring Concert

In Arts & Entertainment, Music
Indie alternative band One11 consists of Ryan Cenicola, Evan Boydstun, Michael Ramirez and Matt Sutton. The Coachella Valley-natives won the Battles of the Bands competition on March 24 and will be the opening act for Spring Concert on May 2. courtesy of One11
Indie alternative band One11 consists of Ryan Cenicola, Evan Boydstun, Michael Ramirez and Matt Sutton. The Coachella Valley-natives won the Battles of the Bands competition on March 24 and will be the opening act for Spring Concert on May 2.
courtesy of One11

Indie alternative rock band, One11, was the champion of Associated Students Inc. Production’s Battle of the Bands competition on March 24.

With this win, the Coachella Valley-natives will perform as the opening act for this year’s ASI Spring Concert.

Students new to One11’s music can expect to see four guys with a lot of energy, who love what they do and who will try to put on the greatest show they can, said Ryan Cenicola, One11’s drummer.

Each of the four bands competing at Battle of the Bands was allowed to play two songs.

“We picked the two most energetic songs we could play and we just gave it our all,” Cenicola said.

The band’s original members are Cenicola and lead vocalist and guitarist, Michael Ramirez.

Two former members left the band just before One11 got the opportunity to open for Eddie Money, leaving them without a bassist.

“It was our biggest show ever,” Cenicola said.

It was at that point when Evan Boydstun, lead guitarist and Cal State Fullerton student, and Matt Sutton, bassist, jumped on board.

Ramirez previously knew Sutton from school and asked him to join the band. At the time, Sutton was in another band with Boydstun. Sutton accepted Ramirez’s offer and Boydstun joined him. They all played the show a month later.

“It’s just been great ever since,” Cenicola said.

Last year the band performed at Tacheva, a block party in Palm Springs that includes an outdoor concert. The band performed in front of around 6,000 people as they opened for Fitz and the Tantrums.

“It was such a huge event. It was in our hometown so it was really special to us,” Cenicola said. “We were representing our hometown in a good way.”

Along with their success, One11 has been able to form their unique sound from working together over the years.

“We’ve all grown so much; we’ve all morphed our sounds,” Cenicola said. “As we mature the music matures with us. We are really starting to find our sound and really find what we’re meant to be. It’s been a really fulfilling experience.”

One11 has plans to perform this summer. The band is working on booking shows in the Los Angeles and Orange County areas.

“We just want as many people to hear our music as we can. It would be awesome if people around the world would be listening to our music,” Cenicola said.

The band will perform at the Spring Concert at the intramural field at CSUF on May 2.