CSUF men’s golf falls to eighth in last day of Big West Championships

After a tough Big West Golf Championships, the Cal State Fullerton men’s golf team has finally concluded its 2014/15 season.

The Titans held on to seventh place after two rounds of play, but fell to eighth in the last day of the tournament at the San Luis Obispo Country Club. Round two leader UC Davis succumbed to the pressure, falling to second place after being overtaken by UC Irvine.

Entering the final round of play, the Titans were hoping to climb the table, but ended up with their worst performance of the tournament. Day three saw Cal State Fullerton card a plus-25 (305), nine strokes worse than their day two performance. Fullerton finished the tournament with a total of plus-61 (901).

Senior Ryan Tetrault, who led the Titans in the individual standings on day two, fell three spots on the last day of play. Despite still finishing the best Titan on the day, Tetrault fell to 20th on the leaderboard, carding a plus-four (74) in round three and a plus-12 (222) tournament total.

The next best Titan player was freshman Mark Cobey, who tied Cal Poly San Luis Obispo’s Jimmy Castles for 31st place after falling one spot and carding a plus-six (76) on the day and a plus-17 (227) over the course of the tournament.

Kyle De Silva had a disastrous day three. He fell nine spots of his round two performance, finishing up in a three-way tie for 33rd place after carding a plus-10 (80). The sophomore finished the tournament with a 19-over (229).

Junior Nico Mendoza moved up two spots and finished 36th, while redshirt senior Josh Park was also in on the five-way tie for 36th. Park also had a rough final round and dropped 12 spots from his day two performance after a plus-11 (81) score. The two wrapped up the three rounds with a 20-over (230).

Cal Poly’s Justin De Los Santos had the best individual performance on the day, which contributed to his coming in first overall for the tournament. He kept things tight, carding a one-under par in the second, 10th, 12th and 13th holes. His worst holes were the fourth, 11th and 15th, in which he recorded a bogey for each.

In the meantime, the Titans will need to rebuild for next season. They’ll be lifted by the fact that most of the team will be returning, with Tetrault and Park the only players set to depart.

Illustration of student buying food

California proposing financial aid to food insecure students

The number of food-insecure students has been rising across college campuses throughout the nation due to rising tuition costs

Kanye West raps while three sillhouettes of women labeled with slang look over their shoulder in scorn.

Rappers Kanye West and the late XXXTentacion promote misogyny

It’s a troubling reality that most rappers still have a thriving career. From their seemingly flagrant misogynistic behaviors to

A graphic showing the steps to take in the event of an active shooter

Active shooter drills at Cal State Fullerton

September is National Preparedness Month at Cal State Fullerton, which encompasses everything from fire, earthquake, hurricane and active shooter