CSUF women’s golf takes sixth at Big West Championships

The Cal State Fullerton women’s golf team concluded its 2015 season in sixth place at the Big West Championships Tuesday at the El Macero Country Club. The Titans also had two representatives in the Big West All-Conference Team.

The Titans entered Tuesday’s final round in sixth place, but were unable to move up the leaderboards after shooting a 17-over 305 on the day.

The only movement in day three came from Long Beach State as the 49ers made up five strokes to tie UC Riverside for third place at 42-over 906.

UC Davis once again ran away from the competition to claim their sixth consecutive conference championship. The Aggies collectively shot a six-under 858 for the tournament, 29 strokes better than second place Hawaii (23-over 887) and 59 strokes better than CSUF (53-over 917).

On the individual side, Davis’ Andrea Wong captured first place with an impressive eight-under 208 for the tournament. Davis dominated the individual leaderboard, placing in four of the top five spots. Hawaii’s Raquel Ek trailed Wong by just one stroke heading into Tuesday, but ended up finishing five strokes behind Wong in second place.

Defending champion Martina Edberg continued to pace the Titans in the final round. Although Edberg had her worst round on Tuesday (five-over 77), the sophomore still scored the highest finish among the Titans (12th) with a score of nine-over 225. After another impressive campaign that included a win at the Juli Inkster Spartan Invitational, the Swedish native was named to her second straight All-Conference First Team Tuesday.

Brittany Farrell was the second-best finisher for the Titans with a total score of 11-over 227. The freshman got better with each round. After carding a six-over 78 in the first round, Farrell followed up with a four-over 76 and finished with a one-over 73 on Tuesday to jump nine spots into a tie for 14th place.

Senior Makayla Mier also moved up the leaderboard on the final day. The Righetti High School product carded a three-over 75 on Tuesday to jump eight spots into a four-way tie for 22nd place. Mier ended the tournament with a 16-over 232.

Nadine Rivera, however, took a backstep in her final round. After her even-par 72 second round boosted her into 23rd, the junior struggled in the final round with a 13-over 85 and dropped down to 36th. Rivera finished the tournament with a 23-over 239.

Senior Tisha Alyn Abrea was off her game all weekend, carding scores in the 80s in every round. Abrea finished strong with a eight-over 80, but it wasn’t enough to avoid finishing last in the tournament. Despite her 34-over 250 in her final tournament as a Titan, Abrea still earned an honorable mention on the All-Conference team due in large part to her win at the Rose City Collegiate earlier this season.

CSUF bids farewell to two seniors after the tournament. The Titans will miss the production from Abrea and Mier next season, but Fullerton will be welcoming back two talented young stars in Edberg and Farrell. The future looks bright for the Titans.