CSUF women’s tennis honors seniors with dominant win over UC Riverside

Senior Megan Sandford (right) high fives teammate Camille De Leon during a doubles match. The Titans celebrated Senior Day on Friday with a 6-1 drubbing of UC Riverside at the Titan Courts. (Matt Corkill / Daily Titan File Photo)
Senior Megan Sandford (right) high fives teammate Camille De Leon during a doubles match. The Titans celebrated Senior Day on Friday with a 6-1 drubbing of UC Riverside at the Titan Courts.
(Matt Corkill / Daily Titan File Photo)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team sent their seniors out in style with a 6-1 victory over UC Riverside on Friday at the Titan Courts.

The Titans celebrated Senior Day by honoring the careers of Megan Sandford, Kalika Slevcove, Jessica Pepa and Devyn Billingsley.

Fullerton (10-11 overall, 2-6 Big West) started out strong in doubles play with a sweep of Riverside (4-14 overall, 0-5 Big West) for the crucial doubles point.

The No. 1 CSUF pair of Sandford and sophomore Camille De Leon easily handled the top Riverside team of Chloe Pham and Tamilla Vaksman 8-2.

The Titan duo of sophomore Alexis Valenzuela and freshman Danielle Pham dominated Highlanders Karla Dulay and Kassie Truong by shutting them out 8-0 in the No. 2 slot.

Slevcove and redshirt sophomore Emilia Borkowski continued to be a beacon of consistency for the Titans in the No. 3 doubles spot. They improved their doubles record to 13-8 on the season with an 8-5 victory over Courtney Pattugalan and Caroline Hall.

The dominant doubles play carried over into singles action, where the Titans took five of the six singles points.

Slotting in the No. 1 spot for the Titans was De Leon, who was filling in for Valenzuela. De Leon stepped up in the absence of Valenzuela and downed Chloe Pham in straight sets 6-2, 6-4.
Sandford followed up De Leon’s straight-set victory with one of her own in the No. 2 matchup. Sandford easily dispatched Pattugalan for a 6-2, 6-2 win.

Fullerton’s Pham faced Dulay for a second time that day, and once again came out on top. She edged out Dulay 6-4 in the first set before Dulay was forced to concede the match at 3-0 in the second set.

Pepa played in the No. 4 slot, the highest she has competed in this season, and stood her ground well. The Chula Vista native was close to shutting out Riverside’s Hall, but will still be happy with her 6-1, 6-0 victory.

CSUF’s Michelle Erasmus’ No. 5 singles bout against Vaksman was the last match of the day. The freshman from South Africa had the chance to complete the 7-0 sweep of the Highlanders, but was unable to secure the win and fell 6-4, 7-5 (10-6).

Slevcove rounded out singles play against Sophie El-Kara in the No. 6 spot. Slevcove continued the straight-set victory trend by cruising to a 6-2, 6-2 win.

With the win, the Titans clinched the No. 7 seed for the Big West Championships and will carry a hint of momentum after winning two of their past three matches. The four-day tournament is set to begin April 23 at Indian Wells Tennis Garden.