CSUF women’s tennis knocked out of Big West Championships by UC Irvine

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team were shutout by UC Irvine Friday in the quarterfinals of the Big West Championships at Indian Wells Tennis Garden. The Anteaters claimed a 4-0 victory by winning two of three doubles sets and winning the first three singles games in straight sets for a swift victory. Seniors Megan Sandford, Kalika Slevcove and Devyn Billingsley ended their CSUF careers. (Matt Corkill / Daily Titan File Photo)
The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team were shutout by UC Irvine Friday in the quarterfinals of the Big West Championships at Indian Wells Tennis Garden. The Anteaters claimed a 4-0 victory by winning two of three doubles sets and winning the first three singles games in straight sets for a swift victory. Seniors Megan Sandford, Kalika Slevcove and Devyn Billingsley ended their CSUF careers.
(Matt Corkill / Daily Titan File Photo)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team’s arduous season wrapped up Friday after its 4-0 quarterfinal loss to UC Irvine in the Big West Championships at Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

The Titans (10-12 overall, 2-6 Big West) were able to avoid playing in the first round by claiming the No. 7 seed, but that’s all the respite the Titans were afforded as they faced the No. 2-seed Anteaters (15-9 overall, 6-2 Big West) in their first match.

Fullerton was looking to avenge a 7-0 defeat to Irvine back on March 4, but the Titans were once again stifled and shut out.

Doubles play put the Titans back on their heels early, as the No. 1 Fullerton pair of Camille De Leon and Megan Sandford was easily dispatched 8-0 by the sibling duo of Ali and Kat Facey.

The Fullerton No. 2 team of sophomore Alexis Valenzuela and freshman Danielle Pham gave the Titans hope with an 8-3 victory over Sarah Gong and Mazy Watrous.

However, that would prove to be the only victory for CSUF on the day, as the Anteaters would go on to capture the doubles point with their No. 3 duo of Andrea Duva and Arisha Ladhani defeating Fullerton’s Emilia Borkowski and Kalika Slevcove in a tightly-contest 8-5 match.

The Titans didn’t fare much better in singles action as they were downed in straight sets in the No. 6, 2 and 5 spots as the Anteaters claimed the 4-0 victory.

CSUF freshman Michelle Erasmus had a forgettable first experience at the Big West Championships. The South African native lost 6-0, 6-2 to Duva in the No. 6 slot.
De Leon was the next Titan to fall. The sophomore could only muster one game, as she was defeated 6-1, 6-0 to Gong in the No. 2 spot.

The nail in the coffin came from the No. 5 match.

Borkowski put up a valiant fight in the first set against Watrous, but eventually fell 6-4 and was shutout 6-0 in the second set.

The remaining three matches were abandoned after the victory was sealed.

Valenzuela had the best shot of earning the Titans a point and avoiding the sweep. The sophomore was leading Kat Facey in the top match 6-4, 1-0 when play was stopped.

Sandford also had a good chance of earning a point in the No. 3 spot against Ladhani. The redshirt senior saw her Titan career end in an unfinished match at 6-3, 3-5.

The last abandoned match was the No. 4 singles slot between Pham and Ali Facey. The match was one of the closest of the day, as Facey was leading 6-3, 4-3 at the time play was halted.

The Titans wave goodbye to three seniors (Sandford, Slevcove and Devyn Billingsley), however Head Coach Dianne Matias will be returning superstars Valenzuela and De Leon as the second year coach will be looking for her first winning season at CSUF.