Local artist Nery Gabriel Lemus to share his experience in the art world

In Art, Artist Profile, Arts & Entertainment
Local artist Nery Gabriel Lemus will be giving a guest lecture in the Visual Arts building Tuesday. courtesy of Nery Gabriel Lemus
Local artist Nery Gabriel Lemus will be giving a guest lecture in the Visual Arts building Tuesday.
courtesy of Nery Gabriel Lemus

Multidimensional artist Nery Gabriel Lemus will speak about his experiences in the art world to students and faculty at Cal State Fullerton on Tuesday night.

The Los Angeles-based artist will be speaking as the second lecturer in the CSUF Fine Art Society’s Spring 2015 guest lecture series. The intent of the series is to expose students and faculty members to professionals in the art world, in hopes that they will acquire useful insight into the industry.

Lemus received his Bachelor’s of Fine Arts at Art Center College of Design and then acquired his Master’s of Fine Arts at California Institute of the Arts. He has worked as an art teacher while maintaining the creation of his own body of work.

“My work explores issues around race and family—not in the narrow sense, but in a broader sense that is ultimately about society’s role (or even responsibility) to advance human dignity,” Lemus said in his artist’s statement on the California Community Foundation Fellowship for Visual Arts website.

KCET’s Artbound has featured a short-length documentary on Lemus and the themes of racial tensions between cultures within his art. His work has been featured in nearly a dozen solo exhibitions, and nearly 60 group exhibitions like the 2014 Love Is In The Air exhibition at 2A Gallery in Los Angeles.

Lemus’ work can currently be viewed at the Charlie James Gallery in Chinatown, Los Angeles. The show, Just So Stories, opened to the public last Saturday and will run until May 30. It is Lemus’ third solo exhibition at the gallery.

To learn more about his recent work and attend the second round in the CSUF lecture series, students and faculty can visit the Visual Arts Building, room 113, at 7 p.m. on Tuesday.

From left to right, Randy Ear, Julia Kong, Milan Le and Lauryn Dang represented Asian clubs at the Q&A panel.

‘Bao’ teaches us the importance of cultural identity and family

A discussion on cultural identity and food was presented at the Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center’s “Bao: Expression of

A photo of Stormtroopers from the 501st Legion in front of the Anaheim Central Library.

AnaCon: Comics and Sci-Fi convention brings ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘Harry Potter’ to life

Stormtroopers walked beside proton-blasing Ghostbusters, but weren’t catching ghosts or fighting the Rebels — they posed for photos alongside

Hank LoForte at the plate for CSUF baseball

CSUF baseball drops midweek matchup against San Diego

A five-run second inning was all the University of San Diego baseball team needed to win as they defeated