News anchor, Housing and Urban Development secretary to speak at commencement

MSNBC News anchor Richard Lui and Secretary of U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Julian Castro, will give the commencement addresses for Cal State Fullerton’s 2015 commencement ceremonies.

Lui will give the address at the May 16 university-wide ceremony, and Castro will give the address for the same ceremony the following day.

In 2007, Lui became the first Asian American male to anchor a daily, national cable news show when he earned a position in CNN Headline News.

He is an anchor for MSNBC and NBC news where he has covered topics from Tea Party movements and presidential elections to International Women’s Day.

Lui’s interest in politics began during the Proposition 13 debates in the 1970s, according to NBC. Prop 13, which reduced property tax rates in homes, farms and businesses, sparked heated political debates due to the resulting cut to California schools.

Then, at 19, Lui became a campaign manager during San Francisco College Board member Alan Wong’s reelection campaign.

After the campaign, he returned to college to earn a bachelors at UC Berkeley and eventually became a reporter for news radio station KALX, where he covered stories including the Rodney King riots.

During the 2000s, Lui covered political disputes in Asia, including elections in Taiwan that pitted pro and anti-Chinese parties against each other.

In 2014, Castro became the 16th Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, where he oversees 8,000 employees.

The department is responsible for executing housing and urban development policies, including assisting elderly and disabled people to obtain services from community and supportive agencies.

Before earning a position at Health and Urban Development, Castro served as mayor of San Antonio, Texas and was recognized in the World Economic Forum’s list of Young Global Leaders in 2010. That same year, Castro was featured in TIME magazine’s “40 under 40” list of new civic leaders who demonstrate efforts to restore a broken political system.

In 2009, Castro was elected mayor of San Antonio at 34—the youngest mayor of America’s top-50 cities at the time. He helped organize an initiative to invest in the city’s center and older neighborhoods, a plan that helped build more than 2,400 homes in 2014 and generated nearly $350 million in total investment.

This was the only neighborhood in the nation to receive grants from Choice Neighborhoods, Promise Neighborhoods and the Byrne Criminal Justice program, three prominent Obama Administration initiatives.