The traditional idea of spring break is tired and overrated, stay home instead

In Columns, Opinion

Now that spring break is over and we’re all back to the daily grind of college life, many of you may be coming back in worse shape than ever. If you decided to partake in any wild spring break activities last week, I’ll bet you’re regretting it.

That may not be true for everyone, but the idea of Spring Break––traveling to a sunny destination, getting wasted and partying until dawn–is a lot better on paper.

I’m not saying all spring break vacations or activities are a waste of time. Planning a short trip with your friends or family can be a great bonding experience if you have the time and money to do so. It’s a great way to blow off some steam and enjoy some adventures. But those who don’t have the time or money to travel for spring break, shouldn’t feel envious or regretful. Spring break is overrated.

Films like 22 Jump Street glorify the spring break experience, making the allure of spring break ever so enticing to overworked students who are eager to party. The time off from school only lasts a week and takes place in the middle of the semester, with no other holidays in sight until summer.

Instead of taking this precious week off to party like there’s no tomorrow, you should take this time to relax and rejuvenate. You no doubt have essays to write, projects to finish and tests to study for, all of which will force you to scramble if you’re trying to work it in before or after spring break activities.

Not to mention all the productive things you could accomplish when staying close to home. You could finish an entire book, learn a new skill or hobby, spend time working out, visit relatives you haven’t seen in a while or spend time catching up on that fully stocked Netflix queue.

Staying at home will also save you the outrageously expensive costs of traveling during spring break. At any hot vacation spot, you’ll find throngs of crowds and endless lines, all filled with crying kids, sketchy people or belligerent drunkards.

Maybe it’s time to reevaluate the idea of spring break as a rite of passage. It’s a bit of an overkill if you think about it; as if college students don’t party enough throughout the year, spring break is just one drink too many. You have your whole life to travel and make memories, it’s alright to take some time and focus on yourself.

College is a time where we have the freedom to be selfish; don’t take it for granted. Remember to relax and spend some quality time restoring your body and your mind.

Obama Awards recipients wait to receive their awards at the event on Saturday.

Orange County Young Democrats celebrate victory with Obama Awards

Triumphant cheers filled the air as Orange County Democrats, including Gil Cisneros, 39th District congressman-elect and Priya Shah, instructor

A woman from the Tree Society drives a wheelbarrow full of tree parts down a dirt path.

Voices from Home: The Huntington Beach Tree Society plants trees for the community

The city of Huntington Beach often brings to mind a picturesque coastline landscape tucked close to suburban life and

Headshot of Fullerton Police Chief, David Hendricks who resigned on Friday.

Former Fullerton police chief charged with battery

Former Fullerton Police Chief David James Hendricks and Capt. Thomas William Oliveras Jr. were charged on Friday for battery