CSUF softball to end season at home against Big West-leading Cal State Northridge

The Cal State Fullerton softball team will close out its season with a home series against Big West-leading Cal State Northridge. If the Titans can secure a sweep, they can end the season in second place in the Big West Conference. Freshman Samantha Vandiver will also look to improve on her Big West-leading .463 batting average. (Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan file photo)
The Cal State Fullerton softball team will close out its season with a home series against Big West-leading Cal State Northridge. If the Titans can secure a sweep, they can end the season in second place in the Big West Conference. Freshman Samantha Vandiver will also look to improve on her Big West-leading .463 batting average.
(Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan file photo)

The Cal State Fullerton softball team will take the momentum of winning five of their past six games into their final series of the season against Big West Conference-leading Cal State Northridge Matadors.

CSUN (40-13 overall, 15-3 Big West) clinched a share of the Big West Conference title with their win over Hawaii Saturday. A possibility of sharing the title with Long Beach State still lingers.

Freshman Zoe Conley (19-4) went the distance against Hawaii and recorded her eighth shutout of the season, allowing three hits and striking out five. She holds a 1.34 earned run average.

Sophomore Taylor Glover lined an inside-the-park home run, her sixth home run of the season. She is batting at a .387 clip.

The final run of the game came courtesy of a run batted in by sophomore catcher Katie Hooper, who went 3-for-3 at the plate. She is batting .394 and is second in runs scored, behind Glover, with 33.

Hooper leads the team in home runs (14), RBIs (54) and slugging percentage (.745).

One win against the Titans (32-21 overall,10-8 Big West), or a loss by Long Beach State clinches the title outright, something the Matadors haven’t accomplished since 1998.

Over their last six games, the Titans amassed 26 total runs, one more run than their previous seven games combined. The Titans swept Cal Poly San Luis Obispo before taking two out of three against UC Davis.

In the series against San Luis Obispo, Fullerton collected 25 hits to the Mustangs’ 20.

Fullerton freshman Samantha Vandiver continued to impress at the plate. Vandiver earned four hits on 10 at-bats over the series. She leads the conference in batting average, boasting a .463 clip. She is tied for second in runs scored on the team with 31.

Junior Courtney Rodriguez boasts a .406 batting average and leads the team in hits (76), runs (40) and is tied for first with Missy Taukeiaho in RBIs (40).

Over the span of the Cal Poly series, she scored four runs with one homerun and three RBIs. She also went 3-for-3 the last game of the series.

Redshirt sophomore Cerissa Rivera (2-2) recorded two wins over the series. She pitched a complete game in the second game. Rivera allowed one run and three hits on 9.1 innings pitched over the series.

Sophomore Christina Washington (16-6) recorded multiple wins over the six-game span.

The first came in a three-run victory over San Luis Obispo. In 6.2 innings pitched, Washington allowed three runs on seven hits. The second came in a phenomenal performance against UC Davis. She pitched a two-hitter, went the distance and allowed one run.

Redshirt junior Desiree Ybarra pitched five innings against the Mustangs and received the no decision. She collected her 10th win of the season against UC Davis, pitching 3.1 innings and allowed two runs.

With a sweep against the Matadors, the Titans have a chance to move into second in the Big West, the best possible outcome for them. It won’t come easy, as the Matadors are 14-3 on the road and the Titans are 19-8 at home.

First pitch is Friday at 5 p.m. The season will end with a doubleheader starting at noon on Saturday.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.