Devil’s Advocate – U.S. education provides a holistic, well-rounded experience

In Devil's Advocate, Opinion
Education in the U.S. has long been a topic of debate from politicians to everyday citizens. How children are educated is an important topic that has far-reaching consequences. Some argue our schools don’t focus enough on advanced mathematics and sciences, yet some believe a comprehensive education is more essential for the real world. (Courtesy of Flickr User Phil Roeder)

There’s a reason why you are required to complete years of schooling before you are able to actually start working. Education is essential because it prepares us for the real world.

Where would you be in life if you didn’t know how to read, write or understand basic mathematics? The U.S. education system thoroughly prepares students to become anything they set their mind to.

Our education system uses many different outlets to teach students, whether it be reading from a textbook or conducting a science experiment. A student can be in a classroom one minute and on their way to an internship the next. The way students learn under the U.S. educational system varies and that’s a good thing.

We can’t forget the many programs that public schools currently offer students. Programs such as student newspapers, science clubs and film production classes provide students with invaluable hands-on experience. Arts programs such as dance and theater can help students who want to get into the field of acting, dancing, singing and much more.

While other countries may focus solely on drilling their students in the fields of math and science, those aren’t the only skills people require in the real world. Those are two very narrow fields of study in the grand scheme of life. Most adults graduate college and move on to pursue careers in an endless array of fields that require important skills like good communication and harmonious collaboration.

It’s true that in recent years, the U.S. has been ranking behind other countries in core subjects like math and science, but what other countries fail to do is provide a holistic, well-rounded education like American schools. In America, children not only learn essentials like math, reading and history, they’re also educated in arts and crafts, sports, music and language. These skills may not be measured in a standardized exam, but they are certainly invaluable skills that ensure a child becomes a well-rounded young adult.

Education is essential and that is why the U.S educational system puts so much effort in trying to get students ready for the real world. They prepare us with the skills and tools we will need to survive. A standardized exam can’t measure the multitude of skills needed for a successful future and American schools should be applauded for focusing on broad and comprehensive education.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.