Formal fashions for commencement

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 2.13.58 PM
Zamora will be graduating with a bachelor’s in business marketing. She is currently working on a podcast for millennial women transitioning from college to career available in iTunes in the fall. (Courtesy of Tiffany Zamora)

This Saturday and Sunday, thousands of graduating Titans will walk across the commencement stage sporting their caps, gowns and tassels. However, the cap, gown and tassel combination is only half of that day’s outfit. The other half, under the gown, must be chosen carefully.

It might seem that the wardrobe underneath that dark, oversized, gown is inconsequential, but it’s just the opposite. You’ll only be wearing that gown, which will seem more like a portable sauna during the ceremony, for three hours.

As soon as those caps are in the air, you’ll be wanting to immediately unzip, and whatever you’re wearing underneath will be what you’ll most likely be taking photos with relatives in.

It’s your big day, you want the outfit you’re wearing to be impressively stylish.

Choosing the right fabric to air out your body throughout the morning is extremely important, so light fabrics, such as cotton and silk, are recommended. Guys should sport a nice button up shirt with black slacks and polished dress shoes, which will make them look effortlessly fashionable.

Ladies can choose either a chic formal dress or a two piece ensemble tied together with a sophisticated article of jewelry, preferably a necklace, since the robe won’t allow the showcasing of any sort of bracelet. It’s also important to note that since you’ll be walking on grass, high heels are not recommended, but a nice pair of complimenting flats or wedges are suitable.

But most importantly, as the Graduate with Titan Pride commencement tutorial said, “keep it classy.” Don’t wear anything underneath you wouldn’t want your parents to see, because most likely, they will be seeing it.