Laverne Cox to speak in Titan Gym Wednesday

Laverne Cox, actress and transgender activist, will speak on campus Wednesday as part of her “Ain’t I a Woman?” series (Courtesy of University of Missouri-Kansas City).

Award-winning actress and transgender activist Laverne Cox will discuss gender-related issues Wednesday on campus as part of her “Ain’t a Woman?” series.

Cox, who plays Sophia Burset on the Netflix series “Orange is the New Black,” is the first transgender woman of color to have a lead role on a popular television show.

As part of her series, Cox has made her way to college campuses across the country to talk about her experience as a transgender person and about gender-related issues.

Anthony Ragazzo Jr., director of the Associated Students, Inc. LGBT/Queer Resource Center, said Associated Students officials sought to bring Cox to campus because of her notoriety and the topics she discusses.

“The ASI Executive Senate felt that there would be high interest in this event,” Ragazzo said in an email. “Laverne Cox is an amazing speaker who is inspiring and empowering. Her speeches on other college and university campuses have been well received.”

CSUF is one of the many universities included in Cox’s “Ain’t I A Woman?” driven talks during the last couple of years.

Cox spoke at Arizona State University earlier this month, as well as Indiana University, University of Missouri, University of Albany, Minnesota State University and many others earlier this year.

“I do believe that marginalized folks often police each other, so black folks police other black folks, women police other women, gay folks police other gay folks, trans folks police other trans folks, etcetera, etcetera,” Cox said at Minnesota State University. “So often, so many of these trans folks who are being murdered are also black—black trans lives matter as well.”

Tickets to attend Cox’s “Ain’t I A Woman?” speech were available April 8. There were 1,500 tickets overall, with 1,150 tickets available to students and 350 available to non-students. All tickets were sold, Ragazzo said.

Cox’s talk will take place in the Titan Gym, beginning at 7 p.m.