Pie Dog gets crafty with hops and dogs in downtown Fullerton

In Columns, Opinion
Pie Dog is a great place to hang out with friends and grab a bite or drink. The casual bar and restaurant serves an excellent selection of craft beers, rotating the flavors with every season and holiday. The lively environment and friendly service make this a must stop. (Jackie Tambara/Daily Titan)

Despite all the chaos and mayhem in the heart of downtown Fullerton, there is a place where you can kick back, unwind and enjoy a gourmet meal and superb craft beer.

Pie Dog is an up-and-coming restaurant for all types of people; old, young, locals, tourists and everyone in between. With a laid back, casual atmosphere, Pie Dog is a great place to meet up with friends, enjoy unique beers and indulge in a handcrafted burger or bratwurst.

The establishment is spacious and has plenty of room for large groups or gatherings, yet still practical enough for a date or a casual dining experience. It might seem odd, but the best way to start off your meal is with a craft beer. Pie Dog always strives to have the tastiest craft beers in town with a very unique selection.

The lineup of beers tends to rotate for different occasions, seasons or whenever they’re in the mood to experiment with new ones. The Humboldt Hemp Brown Ale is a great start. It consists of a delicious, dense flavor making it easy to drink and enjoy. There’s a whole plethora of beers on the list to try out, sample and indulge in.

However, beer is not their only specialty. Pie Dog’s menu includes a variety of gourmet choices, from handcrafted burgers and sausages, to wings and nostalgic appetizers like tater tots and onion rings with homemade dipping sauces. The “Paq-Man” is a Filipino spicy sausage that definitely packs a punch. It comes with a choice of sauerkraut or sauteed peppers and onions on a soft bun. This delicious dog is both savory and sweet due to the combination of flavors from the zesty sausage and the sweet peppers. It’s an explosion of flavor.

The tater tots bring back a nostalgic feeling of being young again. For $1 more, these crunchy tots can be tossed in parmesan cheese and garlic for a zesty kick. Homemade dipping sauce is required and Pie Dog gives you six different types to choose from. The staff is friendly and very accommodating. If there’s any trouble deciding what to eat, the servers are enthused to inform each customer what the best and most popular items are. The owner and chef, Donny Guadiano, is pleased to greet each and every customer, making sure everything is up to par.

With a fun and relaxed environment, Pie Dog is a must try for anyone in the downtown Fullerton area. Whether it’s a calm Monday afternoon or a busy Friday night, the quality and service never diminishes at Pie Dog. This place has a bright future ahead.

CSUF men’s basketball optimistic about chances in Wooden Legacy Tournament

Heading into the Wooden Legacy tournament at Cal State Fullerton this Thanksgiving, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor will be