Discoverfest kicks off the year with zest and enthusiasm

In Arts & Entertainment
Members of the CSUF women's lacrosse club recruit new members by promoting  the team's fun and positive environment, (Yunuen Bonaparte / Daily Titan)
The CSUF women’s lacrosse club recruits new members by promoting the team’s fun and positive environment. (Yunuen Bonaparte / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton turned up the heat last week by kicking off the Fall semester with Discoverfest 2015, a two-day event held throughout campus that allowed over 250 clubs and organizations to promote their associations and gather Titan participants.

While many clubs were returning veterans, such as the Salsa Club and French Club; some groups, such as the CSUF Craft Beer Advocacy and Home Brew Club, were presenting at Discoverfest for the first time.

“We’ve been around for a couple years, but this is our first year at Discoverfest,” said Ricardo Ortiz, treasurer of the CSUF Craft Beer Advocacy and Home Brew Club. “It’s more of a social club, getting together, talking about different beers. We switch it up and go to different breweries every time.”

While the recreational club may seem male-dominated, a surprising amount of women have expressed interest in it, Ricardo said. The Craft Beer Advocacy and Home Brew Club offers all students a break from the stressful college life. Other organizations, such as the Active Minds club, participated to gain support and raise awareness towards their cause.

“We’re a club on campus that works to decrease the stigma associated with mental illness,” said President of Active Minds, Eddie Lopez said. “(We’re) trying to get some new members, trying to get people that are willing to talk about mental health.”

While Active Minds focused its efforts in trying to recruit members to build its base, larger clubs used their time to promote events planned during the semester. “We plan eco-friendly events and bring eco-friendly awareness onto campus,” said Emerolina Cantu, director of the Committee on Environmental Sustainability at CSUF.

The committee hosts events such as “Seats for Change,” coming up in October, which will aggregate resources for existing organizations on campus that work towards sustainability. “We’re just trying to get volunteers and signups to basically volunteer for our events and then join our committees, to make these differences, to be that student voice,” Cantu said.

The Committee on Environmental Sustainability is just one of ASI’s many organizations that garnered attention at Discoverfest. Others included the LGBTQ Resource Center and Titan Bowl and Billiards. The LGBTQ Resource Center spent the day promoting awareness and offering training to both students and faculty.

“We offer resources for all students on campus,” said Melissa Barrios, a student representative for the ASI LGBTQ Resource Center.

The center offers programs such as “Developing Queer Leaders,” which teaches students how to be more inclusive leaders, and “Safe Space Training,” which helps train faculty members in inclusivity to offer a safe space for students, Barrios said. Fortunately for students, even though Discoverfest has come and gone, clubs and organizations are still accepting members. Those who did not make it out to Discoverfest should be sure to check out the club roster on the CSUF website.

This is a photo of a girl who is talking in a microphone to an audience.

Purple Tea Party fundraiser raises awareness on epilepsy

With a personal connection to epilepsy, the current high school Miss California, Grace Edwards, created Talent for Epilepsy, a

One commentOn Discoverfest kicks off the year with zest and enthusiasm

• —We’re a club on campus that works to decrease the stigma associated with
    mental illness
    NO, you are a club that asserts that prejudice.