Titan Ice Hockey off to Arizona to take on the ASU Maroons

The hockey team got going early in the season with a quick win over USC but were brought down by Boise St. Now the Titans take its pads to Arizona to take on the ASU Maroon Sun Devils. (Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)
The hockey team got going early in the season with a quick win over USC but were brought down by Boise St. Now the Titans take their pads to Arizona to take on the ASU Maroon Sun Devils.
(Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton’s ice hockey team is back for another hard-hitting week as the Titans take their skates to Arizona State University to face the Sun Devils.

The series will do well to test the Titans’ abilities on the ice as they take on ASU’s club hockey team. Fullerton already opened the season on a high note as they came right out of the gates with a 6-2 romping over University of Southern California Trojans.

The next game, however, didn’t pan out so well as the Titans suffered a 6-1 loss to Boise State in the opening week of the season, while ASU kicked off its season with a 5-4 win over Weber State University.

CSUF will have its hands full as it faces off against the Sun Devils, one of the more promising teams in the American Collegiate Hockey Association. However, ASU played a sloppy game against WBU, conceding two quick goals, having to drag itself out of an early deficit.

The Titans had a good run last season but fell short in reaching the ACHA regionals last year. Currently, the Titans come in representing Division 2 and are ready to face the challenges ahead.

Fullerton lost quite a bit of talent last season, but still have talented players returning for the 2015-16 season, including forwards Griffin Cortes, Grant and Chase Marhoff and defenseman Jake Yarter.

So far, sophomore Eric Perusse leads the Titans in goals with three, all of which he scored in a hat trick against USC.

The Titans will look to prove themselves again this season as they rank just outside the top 10 in the West. The Titans have a young squad entering into this season with only four seniors on the team.

The Titans will travel to Phoenix, Arizona to compete in a double-header against the Sun Devils this Friday and Saturday.