Titan men’s soccer to kick off the Big West

CSUF is holding its own with a record of 5-4-0 as they welcome Sacramento State to start the Big West Conference. Fullerton has found most of its success at home, where they are 4-1-0. (Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)
CSUF is holding its own with a record of 5-4-0 as they welcome Sacramento State to start the Big West Conference. Fullerton has found most of its success at home, where they are 4-1-0.
(Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer team will look to start its road to a Big West Championship repeat Thursday when it takes on Sacramento State and UC Davis on Saturday.

Fullerton will have the opportunity to gain ground in the Big West in the upcoming month. The Titans go into their matchups with a record of 5-4-0 overall, which ranks as the fourth-best record among the teams in the Big West Conference.

Overall, Sacramento State is 3-4-1 this year, which is the seventh-best record among other conference teams. The Hornets have found their midseason stride, winning three of their last four games.

UC Davis has a 4-5-0 record this season and has won its last three games by a margin of at least two goals each. Although the Aggies come into the match with momentum on their side, they currently own the sixth-best record among their other conference rivals.

The Titans have a good chance of improving their record with CSUF junior goalkeeper David Elias leading Big West goalies with four shutouts. CSUF has made it hard on visiting teams, recording all of its shutouts at home. Defending home field has been a reoccurring theme for CSUF, who has a 4-1-0 record at Titan Stadium.

In addition to sophomore midfielder Diego Sanchez leading the team in goals, freshmen Brandon West and Ross McPhie have greatly contributed to the team’s efforts during their non-conference season.

Sanchez, West and McPhie played off of each other well in their 2-0 win last Sunday against the Grand Canyon University Antelopes, creating plays for and connecting passes with each other.

Last year, the Titans were 3-4-3 in conference play. They made it to the Big West Tournament finals tying against UC Irvine 0-0. Fullerton went on to compete in the NCAA Tournament, where they were knocked out in the first round by the University of San Diego Toreros.

The week will feature two Big West Conference games as CSUF go head-to-head with Sacramento State Thursday and return to action Sunday to take on UC Davis in Titan Stadium.

This is a photo of a girl who is talking in a microphone to an audience.

Purple Tea Party fundraiser raises awareness on epilepsy

With a personal connection to epilepsy, the current high school Miss California, Grace Edwards, created Talent for Epilepsy, a