Titans men’s soccer earns first pair of victories against GWU and Santa Clara Broncos

Ross McPhie celebrates among teammates after his goal against George Washington University. The CSUF men’s soccer team took their record to 2-2 with a pair of victories against Goerge Washington and Santa Clara University over the weekend.  (Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)
Ross McPhie celebrates among teammates after his goal against George Washington University. The CSUF men’s soccer team took their record to 2-2 with a pair of victories against George Washington and Santa Clara University over the weekend.
(Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer picked up a pair of wins over the weekend, improving its record to 2-2.

The Titans hosted George Washington University Friday in a game that saw freshmen shine in the 3-0 rout of the visitors. CSUF kept the momentum going in a comeback victory a couple of days later against the Santa Clara Broncos.

Vs. George Washington

A confident display from new faces led to its first home opener win since 2009.
The first half saw meticulous ball possession from the Titans, who limited GWU to two shots.

Steady play and short passes were the game plan, as well as capitalizing on mistakes from the opposition.

An opportunity came in the 10th minute as GWU’s goalkeeper Jack Lopez gave up a small rebound to CSUF midfielder Diego Sanchez. Sanchez’s shot deflected off the crossbar, where freshman forward Brandon West was in position to finish the play, giving the Titans a 1-0 lead.

The second half saw more dynamic play from both teams. GWU managed to get a couple of chances to score, but could not get past CSUF goalkeeper David Elias, who saved all four shots he faced.

The Titans’ chemistry showed as they notched two goals within a minute to seal the game.
Defender Michael Lopez flared with skill, scoring an unassisted goal from 20 yards out.

Shortly thereafter, midfielder and New Zealand native Ross McPhie found the left side of the net off a cross from forward Nigel Patterson to end the score sheet at 3-0.

Vs. Santa Clara

The Titans showed their resilience in a 2-1 come-from-behind win against Santa Clara.

It was a shooting affair, with 24 shots recorded between both teams, the first half however remained scoreless.

The Broncos made the Titans fight for their win when Santa Clara forward Carlos Delgadillo scored a beautiful bicycle kick goal from a cross in the 62nd minute, opening up the scoring.

It only took Fullerton four minutes to even, the score with Sanchez beating the Bronco keeper with a pass from defender Alex Heilmann.

The home team took the lead in the 80th minute when midfielder Ruben Alvarez netted his first goal for CSUF.

The Titans slipped away from Santa Clara to wrap up their home stand with a back-to-back win.

The weekend proved to be a great test for the home team. It put the Titans in situations that bring a team together: holding a strong lead and enduring comeback win.

After the game against GWU, Head Coach George Kuntz said he wanted to change the lineup to promote offense by moving players where they could be most effective.

“From a personnel standpoint, we decided to play the guys that have garnered the most shots and created the most opportunities,” Kuntz said.

During the weekend, the Titans scored more goals than the previous four games they played combined.

The Titans will looks to continue the scoring streak next Sunday at home against San Francisco at 2 p.m. in Titan Stadium.