Titans teeing off the 2015-2016 women’s golf season

Returning athletes and fresh faces prepare to kick off the 2015 women's golf season. The first weekend tournament will see the Titans traveling to Albuquerque. (Courtesy of Fullerton Athletics)
Returning athletes and fresh faces prepare to kick off the 2015 women’s golf season. The first weekend tournament will see the Titans traveling to Albuquerque.
(Courtesy of Fullerton Athletics)

The Cal State Fullerton’s women’s golf team will tee off the new season in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the Dick McGuire Invitational today. The two-day, 54-hole tournament will be the first of four events of the fall campaign, which concludes in October.

The Titans showed their excitement over the weekend via their official Twitter account, featuring two squad members with the caption “Two More Days!!”

Hitting the links for the Titans are four returning players, including sophomore Brittany Farrell, junior standout Martina Edberg and seniors Nadine Rivera and Dakota Brown.

Edberg advanced to the NCAA regionals in the 2014-15 season, making her the first female player in CSUF women’s golf team history to achieve this accolade.

Edberg, who comes to Fullerton from Glumslov, Sweden, has amassed an impressive scoring average of 74.61, 14 top-20 finishes and earned three first-place victories in her two seasons at Fullerton.

She comes into the new season ranked 188th among NCAA Division I players nationwide.

On the Ladies European Tour, amid adverse weather, Edberg shot a respectable 4-over 75 at the Helsingborg Open during the first week of September.

Farrell, aiming to best her impressive freshman season at CSUF, will likely turn heads this year. Driving on the strength of her 76.45 scoring average—the second best on the team—and her three top 20 finishes, one in the top 10, Farrell will certainly be exciting to watch this season.

There will also be four new faces joining the squad this year.

“I am extremely excited about this upcoming season,” said Pearl Sinn-Bonanni, head coach, to Fullerton Athletics. “We have four returning players who have contributed to the team last season and we are bringing in four freshmen who come to us with lots of competitive experience.”

Sinn-Bonanni is no stranger to success.

According to the Orange County Register, during her playing days in the amateur and junior ranks in the late eighties and early nineties, she accumulated over a 100 wins.

Coming out of Arizona State University, Sinn-Bonanni earned membership in both the U.S. Curtis Cup and Women’s World Cup teams.

Following the McGuire Invitational, the Titans will venture north next week to Washington State to compete in the Cougar Cup at Palouse Ridge Golf Club.

The week of Sept. 26, the team will set their sights on the Wyoming Cowgirl Desert Classic in Palm Desert, California, an event won by the Titans just two years ago.

The second half of this year’s campaign will begin Feb. 22 in Seal Beach, California, at the Gold Rush tournament where Fullerton will face its Big West conference rivals, the Long Beach State 49ers in a 14-team field.

The Big West Conference Championships will conclude the 2015-16 season in Lahaina, Hawaii at the Kapalua Golf Club on Apr. 17. The Titans will certainly look to improve upon last season’s 6th place performance in the tournament.