OLLI to host event that explores the science of sleep

Osher Institute members at a previous lecture in the Mackey Auditorium. Erica Sharp / Daily Titan

The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at Cal State Fullerton will be hosting a class called “What is Sleep?” to address some of the little-known facts about the sleep process.

The class will be open to the public and free to attend, and it will feature Deborah Wilson-Ozima, CSUF adjunct psychology professor, as a speaker. Wilson-Ozima will be talking about sleep cycles, sleep disorders and how sleep changes over a person’s lifetime.

“I read about Ms. Wilson-Ozima and contacted her about doing a lecture,” said Janice Jeng, Vice President of Programs for OLLI, via email. “Many people are affected by sleep disorders, so I feel information about this topic may be helpful to impart.”

Humans spend about a third of their life asleep, and therefore prolonged loss of sleep can have serious consequences, according to the OLLI website.

Lack of sleep affects stress levels, the ability to focus and may lead to diseases associated with weight gain, heart disease, mood disorders, problems with the immune system and even a lower life expectancy, according to a study at Harvard Medical School’s Division of Sleep.

“What is Sleep?” is a part of OLLI’s “Eclectics I Series,” which consists of five different classes between September and December, all covering a wide variety of topics ranging from the presidential election to the bombing of Hiroshima.

“Eclectics is a large format series of lectures,” Jeng said. “The topics of interest are presented by experts for OLLI members and guests.”

While OLLI members are the target audience for this class, the event is open to the public, Jeng said. The organization is still a part of CSUF, and therefore they “always welcome students” to attend, she said.
The presentation is at 10 a.m., Sept. 29 at the Ruby Gerontology Center’s Mackey Auditorium.

Cal State Fullerton Baseball has four players selected on third day of 2017 MLB Draft

With Cal State Fullerton baseball’s first game in the College World Series just days away, four Titans were drafted