Titan women’s volleyball swept over the weekend

The Fullerton volleyball team is struggling to find its first win of the season. With only five sets won this season, the team is still finding it hard to find an offensive rhythm. (Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)
The Fullerton volleyball team is struggling to find its first win of the season. With only five sets won this season, the team is still finding it hard to find an offensive rhythm.
(Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball team suffered a three-game sweep this weekend at the Bulldog Showdown after returning from New Mexico’s Lobo Classic. After three weeks of play their record remains winless at 0-9.

The Titans traveled north to face Central Michigan, Fresno State and Sacramento State. Having lost every game this weekend, the discouragement is adding up for their entire month of away games.

Regardless of their winless outing, the Titans managed to increase their aggressiveness, resulting in improved hitting percentages and the opportunity to win a few sets.

Vs. Central Michigan

CSUF relentlessly battled a five-set game during their first match on Friday before falling to the Chippewas 3-2.

The game went back and forth as the Titans managed to take the lead in two of the sets while narrowly losing the rest. The sets alternated with CMU taking the first, third and fifth sets at 25-12, 25-23 and 15-11, while CSUF took the second and fourth sets 25-19 and 25-18.

Central Michigan quickly took the lead on the first set with a kill and a Fullerton attack error. The Titans soon got a point of their own but could not keep up with Chippewas’ attack.

The Titans made up for a sluggish beginning during the second set. They achieved a .500 kill percentage with the help of five solid kills from Summer Kerins, winning their first set in four games.

Cal State Fullerton out-hit its opponents for the first time all season with a .280 percentage to the Chippewas’ .277.

Kerins and Kyra Hill set career highs with excellent offensive performances as they led the Titans with 16 kills each. Hill hit .353 while Kerins marked .343.

Mackenzie Olsen led the Titans with 39 assists as Paige Reed recorded 17 digs and Katelyn Nielsen produced 12 kills.

The closest the Titans came to tying the final set was at 12-10, however Michigan secured the win with four straight points.

Vs. Fresno State

After a slow first start to the beginning of the day, CSUF showed off their competitive edge against the Fresno State Bulldogs. They ended the game with a loss at 3-1.

Although CSUF won the first set 25-22, they dropped the next four 25-20, 25-22, and 25-21.

The first set started with an attack error point against Fresno State. It didn’t take the Bulldogs long to score but CSUF kept the game tight.

The second set was just as rough for the Bulldogs with CSUF taking the lead and keeping Fresno’s attacks to a minimum. The Bulldogs did, however, take the set 25-20.

Fullerton’s third and fourth sets showed just as much determination, but the Bulldogs closed the game with a kill and an attack error in the fourth set.

Olsen shined with her first double-double of the season, recording 40 assists and 10 digs. Reed got 19 digs while Thomas had 16 kills.

Vs. Sacramento State

The Titan’s racked up their sixth sweep of the season, losing 3-0 to Sacramento State. CSUF stuck it out until the end, but their hitting percentage fell to a meager .141 as compared to Sacramento’s .246.

The first set was the closest for the Titans at 25-20 and a .143 hitting percentage, but they lost their chance after being tied 17-17.

The Titan’s were more aggressive during the second set, with a beginning lead of 7-3. However, the Hornets scored the next nine points in a row to take the lead 12-7.

Fullerton’s final set included their best hitting percentage at .212, but an early three-point lead by Sacramento would set the tone for the final set.

CSUF got a final point with a kill but the Hornets blew them away 25-16.

Olsen led the way with 24 assists. Reed and Katie Roux both hit game highs with 16 and 18 digs respectively, while Hill had seven kills.

CSUF is still looking for their first win of the season as they head to the Bay Area for the San Francisco Challenge Sept.18 and 19.