College Park elevator renovations to go until spring

Workers replacing hardware at the base of the an elevator shaft in College Park.  (Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)
Workers replacing hardware at the base of the an elevator shaft in College Park.
(Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)

One of the four elevators in the College Park building is closed for maintenance, and the renovations are expected to lead to shorter wait times and minimal energy use.

Each elevator will be repaired one at a time, and each renovation is expected to take between eight and 12 weeks, said Frank Mumford, executive director of Cal State Fullerton’s Auxiliary Services Corporation.

“We are totally re-doing all the mechanical and analytical part of the cars,” Mumford said.
The elevator renovation will cost $689,968 and will include new hardware, new car operating panels and new visual door edges to indicate when the car is opening and closing. The renovation is expected to keep the elevators up to date for the next 30 years.

Although a previous Daily Titan article reported that the repairs had to be done by July 8, ASC has been in constant communication with the Department of Industrial Relations (DIR).

The DIR has faced understaffing issues that have resulted in requested inspections taking anywhere from six months to a year to complete, said Jim Alexander, director of property development. The DIR understands that the work will be done, and they have granted ASC an extension for the repairs, he said.

Paola Laverde, public information officer for the DIR, confirmed the elevators were inspected April 17 and that all four elevators needed to have their hoisting ropes replaced.
Mumford and Alexander said that all four elevators have since had their hoisting ropes replaced.

The permits will be updated individually after each elevator undergoes renovation and inspection, Mumford said. The first inspection for the current elevator undergoing renovation was scheduled yesterday, Oct. 19.

Based on inspector findings that Laverde cited, previous Daily Titan articles reported that PM Realty owns College Park. However, ASC owns the building as a 501-C3, a nonprofit public benefit corporation, and its only purpose is to assist in the mission of the university, Mumford said.

A representative from PM Realty said that the building belongs to the campus.

When asked why there was no response about previous questions from the Daily Titan, Alexander and Mumford said they had not been contacted, and if the Daily Titan had come to them and asked about the permits, they would have responded, “yes it says ‘expired,’ but we’re working with an agency,” Mumford said.

“We always haven’t been on the best of terms (with The Daily Titan), if you will, to a certain extent, and we sort of said, ‘well, it needs to go through our public relation folks,’” Alexander said.

A reporter from the Daily Titan did try to contact ASC in the past about the elevators, however, somewhere along the lines of communication the inquiry was intercepted by former media relations official Christopher Bugbee.

ASC encourages those who do not want to wait for the elevator while renovations are taking place to access the stairwell located on the west side of College Park, until all four elevators are completely renovated. The project will continue into the spring of 2016.