Health Center hosts bi-weekly nutrition and diet workshops

The outside of the Cal State Fullerton Student Health Center.  Yunuen Bonaparte / Daily Titan
The outside of the Cal State Fullerton Student Health Center.
Yunuen Bonaparte / Daily Titan

The Cal State Fullerton Health Center educators provide two different weekly nutrition workshops for students, Nutrition 101 and Nutrition Hot Topics, offering students ways to eat healthy and giving a breakdown of mainstream diet trends.

The Nutrition 101 workshop addresses healthy diets and the challenging barriers of doing so.

Nutrition Hot Topics is about mainstream nutrition topics and trends. Topics include antioxidants and gluten diets, as well as the difference between dairy and dairy-free diets, said Darany Hoang, CSUF health educator. Students will also learn how to accurately read food labels.

The discussions aim to give students proper nutrition education, which would help them become health-conscious consumers by choosing better options.

“Right now we are still getting a slow start,” Hoang said. “We have had this for a couple years, and it is our third year doing it. But we could only do it at the health center, so not a lot of people come.”
Due to low attendance, the Health Center decided to partner with the Student Recreation Center. The recreation center has helped to advertise the nutrition workshops.

“We hope that students come back and continue the conversations because they are built up on each other,” Hoang said.
Students generally know about the workshops because they have been to the health center or have been referred by health center staff, Hoang said. She is an advocate for preaching “healthier consumers” and occasionally gives follow-up consultations to students who are trying to meet nutrition goals.

“Our goal is to hopefully reach out to at least a couple hundred students a year,” Hoang said.

The Nutrition Hot Topics workshop is held Mondays from 4 to 5 p.m. at the Health Center.

The Nutrition 101 workshop is held Tuesdays from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. in the SRC.

Admission is free because the workshops are funded through the student health fees, Hoang said.