SSI bankrolls new scoreboard

In Sports, Top Stories
The latest addition to Titan Stadium is one part of a plethora of enhancements that CSUF wants to see in its campus. The new LED scoreboard is expected to be a mainstay in the Titans’ home for a long time. (Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)
The latest addition to Titan Stadium is one part of a plethora of enhancements that CSUF wants to see in its campus. The new LED scoreboard is expected to be a mainstay in the Titans’ home for a long time.
(Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton’s latest improvement to its athletics department came this year in the form of a new video board located on the north end of Titan Stadium.

The score board, which was manufactured by Daktronics, is part of the Student Success Initiative’s goal to expand and modernize student-centered spaces.

With installation and additional fees, the high-tech screen had a total cost of $535,138, which was paid in lump sum.

The new scoreboard has a complete LED display, it measures 19 feet by 39.5 feet and illuminates almost 750 square feet of video, making the board visible from almost any angle in the stadium. The new Daktronics display replaced Fullerton’s aged board that lasted over two decades.

“All of their (Daktronics) scoreboards are custom made,” said Steve DiTolla, senior associate director of athletics. “It was made for Cal State Fullerton.”

“The display incorporates variable content zoning that allows operators to show one large image or divide the display into different zones filled with any combination of scores, live video, instant replays, animations, advertisements and up-to-the-minute statistics,” the Daktronics website said in regards to the LED board’s capabilities.

Even though inclement weather is not likely in Southern California, the Daktronics company boasts the state-of-the-art scoreboard as an “industry-leading” waterproof design that guarantees protection from the elements.

“We anticipate that this (scoreboard) will last us at least 20 years, if not more,” DiTolla said.

The scoreboard, along with other Fullerton Athletics planned projects, is an attempt by the school to raise the department’s branding efforts in order to garner larger student support to its events.

In 2014-2015, Titan athletic events attracted 12,385 students, which was an increase of 158 percent compared to attendance numbers from 2013-2014, according to Fullerton Athletics.

Projects like these could serve as a kind of domino effect for CSUF. The plans will go a long way in bolstering the university’s appeal in the eyes of potential new student-athletes, which will greatly improve Fullerton’s chances of winning future championships, DiTolla said.

One commentOn SSI bankrolls new scoreboard

• Half a million dollars?!? SUPER classy use of that Student Success Initiative money, CSUF. Extremely disappointed.