The Titans prepare to take on undefeated Rainbow Wahine

The Cal State Fullerton women's volleyball team to avoid going down to 0-21 on the season as they face the University of Hawai'i this Sunday. (Paolena Comouche / Daily Titan)
The Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball team to avoid going down to 0-21 on the season as they face the University of Hawai’i this Sunday.

(Paolena Comouche / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball team will travel to the University of Hawaii this week in hopes of winning its first game of the season in a Big West Conference rematch against the Rainbow Wahine.

The Titans are currently at a disappointing overall record of 0-20 and a 0-8 conference record as their 2015 season nears its end. With only eight matches left, it may be too late for Fullerton to completely turn its luck around but there’s still potential to finish the year strong.

During the month of October, the Titans have only been able to win two sets in a stretch of six games. The last match versus UC Davis did not fare too well as CSUF was swept by the Aggies 3-0.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Rainbow Wahine will go into the game as the best team in the Big West Conference as they boast an undefeated record of 8-0. As of now, the team is ranked 23rd in the NCAA’s Women’s Volleyball RPI, whereas the Titans are ranked 299th.

Hawaii completely dominated its first meeting with Fullerton earlier this month as they handily defeated the Titans 3-0, with set scores of 25-11, 25-16 and 25-13.

In that match, the Titans were held to a lowly .053 hitting percentage while allowing a .362 percentage from the Rainbow Wahine. Hawaii senior setter Kendra Koelsch ran the show for her team against Titans as she recorded three kills, 31 assists and four digs.
Per set, Fullerton is averaging 9.94 kills with a .143 hit percentage, 9.11 assists, 1.69 blocks and 13.18 digs.

Going into the game this weekend, sophomore outside hitter Kyra Hill continues to be the Titans’ primary offensive weapon as she averages 2.45 kills per set off a .110 hitting percentage.

Despite Hill’s impressive overall success, her teammate, senior middle blocker Kandace Thomas, stood out in the first game against Hawaii. Thomas logged in a team season-high with a .700 hitting percentage, tallying seven kills on 10 attempts without an error.

Freshman middle blocker Summer Kerins has also been performing well in her first year as she hitting 2.02 kills per set with a percentage of .141.

The offensive orchestrator for Fullerton has been senior setter Mackenzie Olsen as she is averaging nearly eight assists per set. Olsen earned a total of 21 assists during her outing against the Rainbow Wahine.

The Titans will look to break their losing streak when they face off against the University of Hawaii at the Stan Sheriff Center this Sunday.

CSUF baseball faced the TCU Horned Frogs to kick off the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona

CSUF baseball topples TCU in MLB4 tournament opener

In MLB’s inaugural game of the MLB4 Tournament, Cal State Fullerton baseball kept Texas Christian University at bay behind