CSUF women’s soccer looks to gore Matadors

The Titans are currently sitting in first place in the Big West Conference, with 12 points. CSUN comes to Titan Stadium only 2 points behind CSUF. A win for Fullerton will cement its lead on top, but a loss will make it concede its lead to the Matadors.
(Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer team will look to keep its No. 1 spot in the Big West Conference on Sunday as they take on the second-place Cal State Northridge Matadors.

With the Big West Tournament just three games away, the top spot in the Big West Conference is on the line, as a loss for the Titans could bring them down to the No. 2 spot. A victory against the Matadors, however would solidify Fullerton as No. 1 in its conference and further keep the momentum rolling into the tournament.

The Titans have been playing a great season so far, boasting a 12-2-1 record overall, and a 4-1-0 record in the Big West. The Matadors, meanwhile, hold a 10-5-1 record overall and 3-0-1 record in the Big West.

Cal State Northridge is currently the only team in the Big West Conference that remains undefeated in conference action. The Matadors are playing their first 10-win season since 2012.

Coming off an undefeated weekend, the Titans will come into the Northridge matchup riding a four-game win streak, while Northridge comes to Fullerton with a string of three wins pushing them forward. Having moved up in the Big West, the Matadors don’t want to lose any momentum as they come in only two points under the Titans.

The Matadors will be up against the Titans’ formidable offense, as senior forward Rebecca Wilson’s record of 15 goals on the season ranks the eighth-best in Big West history.

Cal State Fullerton senior goalkeeper Jennifer Stuart has been stellar, donning a 10-win record in the overall season and remaining undefeated in games she’s started. Stuart’s 0.830 save percentage, which has earned her three clean sheets in her last four games, has been a major factor to the Titans’ success this season.

Stuart will be challenged by the Cal State Northridge’s sophomore forward Cynthia Sanchez, who has recorded 11 goals so far in the season, setting a new single season record for the Matadors program.

A victory against the Matadors will bring Stuart one win away from tying Fullerton’s 2006 goalkeeper, Karen Bardsley, who holds a 12-win record.

The Titans will return home Sunday at 5 p.m. to host the Matadors at Titan Stadium.

A recycling center for used batteries located in the Titan Student Union.

Cal State Fullerton collects used batteries for recycling

Cal State Fullerton has a system for the collection of batteries, which are processed and then taken to a

How to get your snow during this Californian winter break

Here in Southern California, winter weather mostly consists of gloomy clouds and the occasional rain shower, but with a

Maricsa Segundo holds her daughter, Caroline, at the beach

CSUF student comes out of postpartum depression stronger

Maricsa Secundo, a MAC makeup artist and biology major at Cal State Fullerton, was thrilled to finally find out