Rising artist Derren Day headlines ASI Becker Concert

In Artist Profile, Arts & Entertainment, Music
allan_le_std-2
Rising artist Derren Day rocked the Becker Amphitheater, bringing his unique R&B sound to the CSUF campus. (Allan Le / Daily Titan)

Listeners were treated to a soulful afternoon of covers by singer Darren Day as they basked in the midday Thursday sun and sipped cold smoothies provided by Jamba Juice as part of Associated Students, Inc.’s weekly concerts at the Becker Amphitheater.

Day, a local artist, was selected by ASI Thursday Concert Coordinator, Monica Vu. He caught Vu’s attention when she noticed his strong social media following. Students came by to hear him sing, some attracted by word of mouth and others lured in by the sultry sound of his voice and the smooth rhythm of the guitar.

“I heard about the Jamba Juice at first and I heard a guy that was cute was singing,” said Tashay Johnson, a senior kinesiology major. “I would like to get to know more of his music, more of his background and what made him want to do R&B.” While some may have stumbled upon  Darren’s concert, others were aware of it by way of the Internet and signage around campus. “I saw posters and flyers sticking out of the ground and on the ASI website,” said Anne Basilio, freshman history major.

Day recently moved to California with Alex Collister, a friend from college, to pursue his dream of becoming a professional musician. The two form an unlikely duo. “We actually met at Berklee College of Music in Boston,” Collister said. The two have been working well together so far and definitely enjoy the music they make. “I like to just find my role and fill it, so with Darren, it’s perfect. I accompany him and sing background,” Collister said.

The two are working to get their name out and build their fan base. They enjoy doing the work that they are passionate about for a growing audience. “We started playing, people started trickling in, which was wonderful,” Collister said. “We love to have people surround us. We love to play music for a bunch of people”

The crowd’s enthusiasm level is key to their enjoyment of live shows as musicians, Day said. “As long as they have a good time, that’s all that’s important to us,” he said. “We love doing this and we just hope they love it just as much as we enjoy doing it.” Day and Collister both acknowledge the importance of using technology and the power it embodies. “We’ve been focusing a lot on getting our following on social media,” Collister said. “We are definitely being a little more active on YouTube, putting up a lot more videos and content to view.”

They are also ensuring that viewers can get to them through Instagram. After the concert concluded, the enthusiastic duo posed for pictures, signed posters and chatted with fans, encouraging them to connect with the band online. “It’s the most important thing as long as they have a good time that’s all that’s important to us,” Day said.

They are optimistic about the future and are prepared to do what it takes to keep their sound relevant and dynamic. “We are just going to keep performing, keep working, try and climb the ladder and get our name out there,” Day said.

CSUF men’s basketball optimistic about chances in Wooden Legacy Tournament

Heading into the Wooden Legacy tournament at Cal State Fullerton this Thanksgiving, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor will be