Titans defeated by the Highlanders, drop to 0-23

The Titans lost in straight sets to the UC Riverside Highlanders, marking their fourth shutout loss in a row. The Titans trail UC Santa Barbara by two games in the Big West Conference.  (Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)
The Titans lost in straight sets to the UC Riverside Highlanders, marking their fourth shutout loss in a row. The Titans trail UC Santa Barbara by two games in the Big West Conference.
(Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)

The Titans, now 0-11 in conference play and 0-23 overall, were competitive at the start of the the first round. The Titans and the Highlanders were neck-and-neck, tied 6-6, until UCR strung together seven points to take a 13-6 lead.

Some more back-and-forth tallies would tie into another long string of consecutive Highlander scores to end the first round 25-13.

The second round began similarly, as the Highlanders chipped away at the Titan defense, slowly building their lead. The Titans made a solid effort in the middle of the round to catch up to the Highlanders, trailing them 16-15, but another Highlander scoring onslaught saw the visiting team claim the second set 25-18.

The third round produced the same results. Riverside led 17-6 until Fullerton bounced back with four points to trail the visitors, 17-10. It would not be enough to match the Highlanders’ dominating prowess. UCR won the last round 25-17, giving the Titans their 15th sweep of the season.

The Titans recorded a meager .081 hitting percentage while only putting up three aces, two blocks and 38 digs.

Freshman Megann Delgado led the Titans’ offense, dropping 10 kills, while freshman Summer Kerins came up behind with six of her own.

Senior setter Mackenzie Olsen led the team in assists with 24, and junior outside hitter Paige Reed came up with 13 digs to attempt to keep the Titans from falling too far behind.

The game was mostly a one-sided affair, as the Titans had to shift their emphasis to defense to keep the dominating Highlanders from scoring. UCR recorded a .303 hitting percentage and was able to stop any Titan attack, preventing CSUF from reaching 20 points in all sets.

The Highlanders put up eight blocks, 53 digs and served four aces to hand the Titans their 23rd loss of the season.

Regardless of the loss, sophomore Kyra Hill set a new career high of 12 digs, but fell short of scoring double digit-kills for the first time since the Titans’ game at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.

The eighth-place Titans are still two games behind seventh-place UC Santa Barbara, and with only five games left in the regular season, the Titans are yet to win their first game. CSUF hits the road to take on the CSUN Matadors on Tuesday at the Matadome.

CSUF baseball faced the TCU Horned Frogs to kick off the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona

CSUF baseball topples TCU in MLB4 tournament opener

In MLB’s inaugural game of the MLB4 Tournament, Cal State Fullerton baseball kept Texas Christian University at bay behind