Titans fall to a record of 0-22, give up straight sets to Long Beach

In Sports, Top Stories
The winless Titans found it difficult to keep up with second-place Long Beach State, falling in straight sets.  (Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)
The winless Titans found it difficult to keep up with second-place Long Beach State, falling in straight sets.
(Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball team was swept once again Wednesday, as it fell to the Long Beach State 49ers.

The Titans went into the game with the third-worst start in program history, losing all 21 of their games this year.

Meanwhile, Long Beach State had won seven of its last eight matches heading into its game against the Titans.

This game would serve as the first meeting between the fierce rivals, even though they co-hosted the LBSU/CSUF Baden Invitational earlier in the year.

Fullerton’s game plan for Wednesday night was to get out of rotations more quickly in order to keep pace with a top-ranked team like Long Beach State.

It wasn’t long into the first set when the 49ers started to assert their dominance over the Titans. The 49ers pulled away early and eventually cruised to a 25-13 win, giving them the 1-0 set lead.

Despite the Titans also coming up short in the second set, it was much more competitive compared to the first.

Halfway through, both sides were at a 13-13 stalemate until the Titans started to commit communication errors that hindered their play.

This allowed the 49ers to regain control of the match, which ultimately propelled them to a 25-18 second set win.

With the 49ers taking a commanding 2-0 set lead, the Titans were in need of a spark if they planned to formulate some kind of comeback.

Unfortunately for Fullerton, the team was unable to overcome its deficiencies, losing the final set by a score of 25-17. With their victory, the 49ers now hold the second-place spot in the Big West Conference with a record of 10-2.

Statistically, CSUF performed better than average as it recorded a hit percentage of .188 compared to its season average of .149. However, the Titans allowed the 49ers to log in a whopping hit percentage of .340.

With the Titans picking up their 22nd loss, and the Big West Conference title beyond reach, Head Coach Ashley Preston remains optimistic.

“We just continue to work on the small things. We don’t look at the big picture, we just focus on winning each separate set,” Preston said.

With an overall record of 0-22 and a conference record of 0-10, Fullerton hopes it can salvage as many wins as it can with only six games remaining in the season.

The Titans return to action Saturday when they host the UC Riverside Highlanders at the Titan Gym.

Former FBI Director Robert Mueller briefing President Barack Obama about the Boston Bombing

Mueller report finds no evidence of Trump conspiring with Russia

The investigation of President Donald Trump and his campaign led by Robert S. Mueller III was released Sunday. The report

Editorial: From Michelle Obama to Malala Yousafzai, women deserve to be recognized

As a nod to Women’s History Month, it is important to have this special women’s issue to remind everyone

A drawing of alexandria ocasio-cortez with two other women standing behind her and a flag also with the symbol for female is behind them

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a powerful presence in politics

The Democrats have a new media darling worthy of the spotlight: New York House of Representatives member Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez,