Titans roasted in holiday week, lose five games

After starting the 2015 year in convincing fashion by blowing out Portland State and narrowly escaping Loyola Marymounut University, the Titans lost all of their games during the week to drop to 2-5.  (Yunuen Bonaparte / Daily Titan)
After starting the 2015 year in convincing fashion by blowing out Portland State and narrowly escaping Loyola Marymounut University, the Titans lost all of their games during the week to drop to 2-5.
(Yunuen Bonaparte / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball team suffered five consecutive losses over Thanksgiving Break, having been defeated by Pepperdine University, Weber State, the University of Wyoming, Southern Methodist University and Northern Illinois.

Vs. Pepperdine

The Titans were defeated 81-75 on Friday Nov. 20 at the Firestone Fieldhouse.

The first Titan loss of the season came from a Pepperdine home opener, which saw the Waves eager for their first win of the season.

Freshman phenom guard Michelle Berry put up her first career double-double with 21 points and 13 rebounds for Fullerton. Redshirt senior Karima Gabriel was close behind Berry with 16 points, six rebounds and three blocks.

Vs. Weber State

On Sunday Nov. 22, the Titans lost 60-40 to Weber State in the Titan Gym.

In their lowest scoring game of the season, the Titans could not find any rhythm, as they started off by scoring just nine points in the first quarter. Gabriel dropped 15 points, making it her second game in a row with double-digit points, and Samantha Logan led the team in rebounds with nine.

Berry played only 25 minutes, straying from her usual full-game performance. This allowed CSUF to utilize more reserves, as five players came off the Titan the bench in the weekend blowout.

Vs. Wyoming

After their worst game of the season, the Titans came back and fought hard against Wyoming, but fell short in overtime and lost 61-56 Tuesday at Titan Gym.

Fullerton, again, came out slow in the first quarter as Wyoming held them to just 11 points. The Titans gave the Cowgirls a taste of their own medicine in the second quarter, as they shocked the Cowgirl offense by allowing them just two more points before the end of the half.

The Titans’ offense remained relatively stagnant the rest of the game, as they scored just 21 points in the final two quarters of regulation and eight in overtime.

Freshman guard Jade Vega scored 13 points and dished out a team-leading six assists.

She scored another buzzer beating layup in the fourth quarter to take the game into overtime, but it would not be enough to overcome the loss.

Vs. Southern Methodist

CSUF lost its fourth game of the week 74-53 to Southern Methodist University during the SMU Thanksgiving Tournament at Moody Coliseum on Friday.

Gabriel led the Titans by recording a season-high 21 points and freshman guard Dani Craig followed behind with 13 points for her fourth double-digit game of the season.

The Titans’ trend of coming out soft in the first quarter continued as they only scored seven but allowed their opponents 18 points to begin the game. The Titans outscored SMU in the second and third quarters by a small margin, but SMU put the dagger in the game by blowing out the Titans 27-10 in the fourth quarter.

Vs. Northern Illinois

The Titans dropped their fifth straight game 72-49 to the Northern Illinois Huskies on Saturday at Moody Coliseum.

The Titans shot just 27 percent from the field, garnering their second-lowest point total of the season. Fullerton also shot 18.2 percent from behind the 3-point line and 45.8 percent from the charity stripe.

Regardless of their poor shooting performance, the Titans recorded a season-high 44 rebounds and tied for a season low 12 turnovers.

Sophomore forward Amanda Tivenius came off the bench and dropped her first double-digit points game of the season and Logan recorded a season-high 10 boards.

The Titans travel north to face the Montana State Bobcats on Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Worthington Arena.

Exterior shot of the CSUF emblem

Cal State Universities work to improve sustainability efforts

Sustainability is becoming more important to all Cal State Universities as each university has agreed to comply with specific

Where CSUF’s water comes from and how it’s maintained

Cal State Fullerton’s water supply comes from the city of Fullerton, which gets its water from the Metropolitan Water

Cal State Fullerton’s commuter culture negatively impacts air quality on campus

Commuter behavior poses a threat to Cal State Fullerton’s ability to meet air quality pollution standards set by the