Titans set for last exhibition game against Hope International University

The women's basketball team will see how its new pieces gel together in the last preseason game of the year.  (Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)
The women’s basketball team will see how its new pieces gel together in the last preseason game of the year.
(Renzy Reyes / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball team will play its final game of the preseason Friday against Hope International University.

The Titans opened the preseason term last Thursday with an exhibition win over Cal State Los Angeles. The game finished with a tight scoreline, and CSUF will now look to play a tighter game against the neighboring Royals.

CSUF freshman guard Michelle Berry led the Titans to their first exhibition win with 23 points, nine rebounds and three assists in 39 minutes of play.

Redshirt senior center Karima Gabriel played 26 minutes and grabbed 10 rebounds. Head Coach Daron Park said he is looking for Gabriel to anchor the team in the post and be a great option down low.

The 6-foot-2 center was the second-most offensive threat for the Titans, scoring 13 points, seven of which were from the free-throw line. Further, she led the way for the Titans’ defense, recording one steal and the only three CSUF blocks.

Junior guard Samantha Logan played the entire 40 minutes and was dominant under the paint, getting 14 rebounds and scoring seven points of her own.

Freshman guard Dani Craig also played the entire game and scored 10 points, even though she recorded a 15 percent shooting percentage. She landed 4-4 on free throws and hit two of the Titans’ four three-pointers.

Freshman guard Jade Vega only scored two points, but was still an able player on the court, recording five rebounds and a steal.

Off the bench, freshman guard Lauren Nubla was the Titan assist leader with six assists in just 15 minutes of play.

The only reserve to score was junior center Dhanyel Johnson, who scored both of her field goal attempts and retrieved three rebounds in just six minutes.

As of now, the Titans only have three players on the bench, making for an eight-person team. The starters played the majority of the game, and the three reserves only played 30 minutes collectively.

As compared to the eight-man squad Fullerton brought out for the game against CSULA, Hope International University mans an 18-person team.

HIU finished the 2014-2015 season with an overall record of 17-15 and looks to be a threat with to multiple preseason recruitments.

The Titans will tip off their last preseason game against HIU on Friday at Titan Gym.

Crime Log: Stalking, false fire alarm and speeding contest

Cal State Fullerton University Police responded to various crime calls during the month of March, ranging from speeding contests,

Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the