Women’s Volleyball eyes rivals Long Beach State 49ers

The Titans are looking to make some kind of imprint on the Big West Conference in their game against Long Beach State. Last-place CSUF will host the second-place 49ers.  (Paolena Camouche / Daily Titan)
The Titans are looking to make some kind of imprint on the Big West Conference in their game against Long Beach State. Last-place CSUF will host the second-place 49ers.(Paolena Camouche / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball team returns home Wednesday in search of its first win of 2015.

All season the Titans have struggled to put together a winning performance. Whether it was a close five-set game against UC Riverside or three consecutive shutouts at the hands of the University of Hawaii, UC Davis and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, the Titans have not had much luck keeping up offensively.

The next match does not seem like it will provide the Titans with many favors, as Long Beach State comes into Titan territory with a commanding overall record of 19-5.

The 49ers are on a strong late-season grind, beating their last five opponents with a total of 15 sets to four.

During that stretch, the first two victories saw Long Beach shut out bottom dwellers of the Big West Conference. However, the last three came against teams that rounded out the rest of the top half of the conference table.

The 49ers’ offense has out-played other teams this year by hitting a .248 percentage, in comparison to its opponents’ .213.
49er junior outside hitter Nele Barber has propelled Long Beach’s high octane offense all season. Barber has racked up a team high of 366 kills, resulting in nearly four kills per set.

Long Beach senior setter Janelle Hudson has been averaging 10.42 assists per set while setting up her teammates 959 times through the 2015 campaign.

The Big West title is well out of reach for CSUF. With seven games left in 2015, the Titans don’t have enough time left in the season to mount to any kind of comeback.

CSUF had its chance to make its mark in the conference, but its leaders haven’t rallied their team in late-game situations.
Wednesday night will see Head Coach Ashley Preston take on 49er Head Coach Brian Gimmillaro. The Titans will pit their young coaching staff up against the three-time NCAA National Champion.

Preston hasn’t been able to replicate the success she’s had in her time as the head coach of the Coppin State University women’s volleyball team. During her three-year stint, Preston became the winningest coach in program history as well as led her Eagles to the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament.

The roster sheet seems to be stacked in Long Beach’s favor, but the Titans will still look to earn their first win of the season when they host the 49ers on Wednesday at the Titan Gym.

CSUF baseball faced the TCU Horned Frogs to kick off the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona

CSUF baseball topples TCU in MLB4 tournament opener

In MLB’s inaugural game of the MLB4 Tournament, Cal State Fullerton baseball kept Texas Christian University at bay behind