Shooter alert turns out to be false alarm

In Local News, News, Top Stories
Fullerton police officers detained witnesses in a squad car and sectioned off the area where the fhot woman was found. (Patrick Do / Daily Titan)
Fullerton police officers detained witnesses in a squad car and sectioned off the area where the fhot woman was found.
(Patrick Do / Daily Titan)

Update: The victim of the shooting received non life-threatening injuries, but the suspect is still at-large, according to Buena Park Police Press Information Officer Cpl. Bret Carter.

Cal State Fullerton students were put on alert Wednesday after a shooting was reported at a CVS store located at the intersection of State College Boulevard and Chapman Avenue.

Campus police quickly rescinded the alert after the Fullerton Police Department told them that the shooting actually took place in Buena Park.

The victim of the shooting, whom Fullerton police described as a Hispanic female in her early 30s, was shot in the arm before driving herself in a silver Chevy Malibu to the CVS store. From there, she was taken to UCI Medical Center.

The shooting that occurred in Buena Park was the result of a possible altercation between the victim — whose name had not been released as of the time of publishing, pending an ongoing investigation — and the suspect. Police described the suspect as a Hispanic male in his late 30s and said he is the victim’s ex boyfriend, according to Sgt. Tim Kandler of the Fullerton Police Department.

The Buena Park Police Department headed the investigation, but the Buena Park officer at the scene declined to comment.

Debbie Warren, who pulled into the CVS parking lot at the sight of police lights, said she saw the victim hunched over in the vehicle before she was transported to the hospital.

“This can happen any time, anywhere, and I’m always looking, especially when I have grandkids with me. I’m always alert and watching what’s going on because I’m 60, I’ve lived my life,” Warren said.

At CSUF, students were also on-edge after receiving the text and e-mail alerts about the incident.

“I never thought that I was at risk when I am at school, but that message kind of scared me,” said 20-year-old liberal studies major Justine Bahbah. “But I think the police do a good job at keeping us safe.”

Students and staff at La Vista High School, Troy High School and Ivy Crest Montessori Private School were placed on lockdown around 2:15 p.m., but that lockdown was lifted later in the day.

No contact with the suspect had been established at the time of this writing, said Buena Park Police Press Information Officer Cpl. Bret Carter.

One commentOn Shooter alert turns out to be false alarm

• Brian Edward Croner

Possible charges: attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, with a sentencing enhancement of using a firearm in the commission of a felony. In California we have a “use a gun and you’re done” policy. This guy won’t see the light of day again until he’s old and gray.