University Police receive report of sexual assault on campus

Update: This story was updated at 12:20 a.m. Monday, Feb. 1, 2016 to add comments from the CSUF Dean of Students.

A sexual assault allegedly occurred on campus Thursday evening, according to a University Police timely warning alert.

The alleged perpetrator is an “unnamed male CSUF student and an acquaintance to the victim,” according to the timely warning alert. The victim is female, said University Police Capt. Scot Willey. No arrests have been made as of the time of this writing.

The assault occurred between the Starbucks coffee shop at the Pollak Library and the Engineering and Computer Science building. The CSUF Title IX Office notified University Police of a confidential report of the assault Friday afternoon, Willey said.

The victim of the assault reported the incident to the Title IX Office on Friday, but chose not to identify the perpetrator by name, Willey said. Officials at the Title IX office could not be reached for comment as of this writing.

CSUF Dean of Students Tonatzin Oseguera said that university officials do not want to pressure the victim into revealing the perpetrator’s name.

“What we’re really looking for is other students to come forward and share information,” Oseguera said.

While University Police will proceed with an investigation, no arrests can be made until an official crime report is filed.

“No crime has been reported to us, so even if we got camera footage and we saw what happened, that’s not in itself enough for (University Police) to go after somebody, because we don’t know that something actually occurred,” Willey said

However, Willey added, if University Police identifies the perpetrator through its investigation, it can contact the Title IX Office, which in turn can give the victim the option of filing an official report.

If the perpetrator is identified through an investigation, then the Title IX Office can take disciplinary action in lieu of a police report, Oseguera said. Disciplinary action can include suspension from the CSUF campus or expulsion from the CSU system.

Victims of sexual assault can also reach out to University Police and other resources on campus without being identified and without having to file said report.

“The first thing we want them to do is to feel comfortable to talk to somebody because there are a lot of resources across the university, a lot of places where they can go talk to people,” Willey said. “It doesn’t always have to lead to being involved with a police investigation and prosecution.

Anyone with information regarding Thursday’s incident should contact Detective Paul McClain at 657-278-2902.

Victims of sexual assault can also reach out to the following on-campus resources:

WoMen’s Center (University Hall, room 205)/Confidential Victim Advocate: 657-278-3928

Counseling and Psychological Services: 657-278-3040

Title IX Office: 657-278-4207

Title IX coordinator Mary Becerra: 657-278-2850

University Police: 657-278-2515.