ASI vice chair is elected by peers

Cal State Fullerton Associated Students, Inc.’s board members elected senior Sarah Smith as ASI’s new vice chair for planning at Wednesday’s board meeting in the Titan Student Union.

The other candidates running were Student-At-Large members Austin Mendes and Luke Higgott.

After a short PowerPoint presentation by each of the three candidates, Titan Student Center Chair Kristyn Grime broke the tie between Smith and Higgott.

Smith has been involved in ASI for two-and-a-half years and has been a Student-At-Large member for the past two semesters.

Smith said her priorities as new vice chair for planning are directed toward the allocation of meeting rooms for clubs on campus and the new kitchenette located in TSU’s food court.

Recently, board members noticed that some clubs do not use the room assigned to them, preventing other clubs from having a space of their own, Smith said.

Currently, there is an application process that clubs undergo to get an assigned room per semester, Grime said.

The board wants to change this to a yearly basis.

Smith plans to design a different method of selection to ensure the maximum productivity for the meeting rooms.

The new application process is scheduled to begin this spring. Feedback will be gathered from clubs that have a working space to arrange a better system, Grime said.

The rooms designated for clubs to meet are located on the TSU’s second floor.

Smith is excited with her recent elected position and hopes to leave a legacy with the campus, she said.

Smith’s vice chair position allows her to spearhead designs of long-term projects like the allocation of rooms to clubs and the promotion of the newly designed kitchenette, which includes a microwave station and sink for students to use. The kitchenette is located in the TSU food court next to Round Table Pizza.

Smith admitted she is anxious to do a good job with the new position because she wants to ensure she represents the student body well.

“I know I can do it. I have the drive, I have the passion, I have the ideas but at the same time you’re always afraid, you know?” Smith said.

Grime is not concerned.

“I can see her having a very long future within (the Titan Student Center Governing Board). I can see her fill in my shoes one day,” Grime said.

Former FBI Director Robert Mueller briefing President Barack Obama about the Boston Bombing

Mueller report finds no evidence of Trump conspiring with Russia

The investigation of President Donald Trump and his campaign led by Robert S. Mueller III was released Sunday. The report

Editorial: From Michelle Obama to Malala Yousafzai, women deserve to be recognized

As a nod to Women’s History Month, it is important to have this special women’s issue to remind everyone

A drawing of alexandria ocasio-cortez with two other women standing behind her and a flag also with the symbol for female is behind them

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a powerful presence in politics

The Democrats have a new media darling worthy of the spotlight: New York House of Representatives member Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez,