CFA prepares for visit from Chancellor Timothy White

patrick_std
California Faculty Association Chapter President Michele L. Barr, pictured left, speaks with other CSUF faculty members about joining the union’s fight for a 5 percent General Salary Increase.
(Patrick Do / Daily Titan)

The Fullerton chapter of the California Faculty Association (CFA) is preparing to question California State University Chancellor Timothy White when he visits Cal State Fullerton in February.

During White’s last visit to CSUF, he told the Academic Senate that he could not address campus issues such as heavy class loads, money-per-student funding and the hiring of more adjunct faculty than tenure-track faculty until the CSU system received more money from the state, said Jon Bruschke, Ph.D., CSUF professor and co-director of forensics.

Bruschke wants to remind the chancellor during his visit that the state gave the CSU system an additional $97 million, and that the university has to do something to make sure CSUF gets the equivalent amount of money-per-student compared to the rest of the CSU campuses.

The money-per-student amount allocated negatively affects student learning because it requires the university to hire more adjunct faculty than those in tenure track because it’s cheaper, Bruschke said.

White’s recent visit to Cal State Long Beach included an hour-long open forum in which White answered seven questions, five of them about the financial aspects of higher education, according to the Press Telegram.

Students and faculty questioned White about tuition affordability, money spent on administration, lack of faculty raises and the $97 million allocated for the CSU system in Gov. Jerry Brown’s state budget.

White left his visit to Cal State LA on Jan. 19 to a crowd booing and chanting “Strike.”

White will be making a visit to the CSUF campus Feb. 16.

Update on the bargaining process for increased salaries:

The collective bargaining process with the CSU to discuss the potential 5 percent General Salary Increase and a 2.65 percent Service Salary Increase for all CSU faculty began Nov. 17 of last year.

The bargaining team completed the process of presenting evidence and the calling of witnesses Jan. 13, according to the CFA. The CFA and the CSU are now waiting for the final written report, which will recommend a settlement.

After the report is completed, a blackout media period of 10 days will occur and both the CFA and the CSU will have the opportunity to study the report. According to the Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA), the faculty have the legal right to strike after the media blackout.

“I hope the report is favorable for faculty so that we are on par with the UC systems and community colleges,” said Vita Jones, Ph.D., CSUF associate professor of early childhood special education. “Although we are a state college, I just hope we can be elevated to the same level as those other entities.”