CSUF and city prepare for El Niño storms

In Campus News, Local News, News
patrick_do_std-3
The city of Fullerton is providing residents with 15 free sand bags to help prepare for the predicted El Niño storms, said Fullerton Fire Department Deputy Chief Julie Kunze.
Patrick Do / Daily Titan

Cal State Fullerton students can expect dry classrooms during the predicted El Niño storms.

There are ongoing efforts to protect students and residents alike on campus and throughout the City of Fullerton. Flood mitigation will be implemented by Facility Operations and University Police and free sandbags for Fullerton residents will be offered by the city.

Professor Matthew Kirby of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics believes the new drought-sustainable landscaping around campus will do just fine.

“You’re gonna have some gullying which is a product of, you know, high-intensity precipitation on even moderate slopes and so you might see some of that,” Kirby said. “But I don’t expect that anything associated with the storms that we may still have associated with this El Niño are going to result in any significant damage.”

As for the remainder of the El Niño season, Kirby noted that El Niño is still active and “traditionally peaks in late January through April.”

“Think about it this way, if our average is about 13 inches (of rainfall) or something. We could easily get 13 inches of rain in two days,” Kirby said.

Some CSUF students may be unaware of the efforts by campus agencies to coordinate emergency procedures during a weather event. University Police Capt. Scot Willey said campus police and Facilities Operations have teamed up to highlight problem areas on campus.

“Part of that conversation was about the sandbagging and so we started talking about the areas that need sandbagging now,” Willey said.

University Police know first-hand that preventative measures are important, since past rainfall flooded areas of their headquarters located along north State College Boulevard.

“Our Emergency Operations Center is where we would all be if there was major flooding on the campus, so we would need that to stay dry as much as possible,” Willey said.

For students and faculty who live locally, the City of Fullerton is prepared to help residents in times of a severe weather event.

The Fullerton Fire Department, located at 312 E. Commonwealth Ave., and the City Maintenance Yard, located at 1580 W. Commonwealth Ave., provide free sandbags for Fullerton residents.

Fullerton Fire Department Deputy Chief Julie Kunze said there will be free sand and sandbags in the event of a significant amount of rain.

Residents can fill 15 bags free of charge between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. Residents who need assistance can call (714) 738-3387.

From left to right, Randy Ear, Julia Kong, Milan Le and Lauryn Dang represented Asian clubs at the Q&A panel.

‘Bao’ teaches us the importance of cultural identity and family

A discussion on cultural identity and food was presented at the Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center’s “Bao: Expression of

A photo of Stormtroopers from the 501st Legion in front of the Anaheim Central Library.

AnaCon: Comics and Sci-Fi convention brings ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘Harry Potter’ to life

Stormtroopers walked beside proton-blasing Ghostbusters, but weren’t catching ghosts or fighting the Rebels — they posed for photos alongside

Hank LoForte at the plate for CSUF baseball

CSUF baseball drops midweek matchup against San Diego

A five-run second inning was all the University of San Diego baseball team needed to win as they defeated