CSUF Baseball prepares for the Arizona Wildcats and Texas Tech Red Raiders

In Sports, Top Stories
Freshman Colton Eastman got his second win of the season in the final game of the three-game series against the Indiana Hoosiers. Eastman pitched 6.2 innings, giving up six hits and one run. He struck out six batters and walked one. (Patrick Do / Daily Titan Stock Photo)
Freshman Colton Eastman got his second win of the season in the final game of the three-game series against the Indiana Hoosiers. Eastman pitched 6.2 innings, giving up six hits and one run. He struck out six batters and walked one.

(Patrick Do / Daily Titan Stock Photo)

Coming off a home-opening sweep of the Indiana Hoosiers, the Cal State Fullerton baseball team starts its road trip with a one-game matchup against the Arizona Wildcats on Wednesday.

Fullerton looks to continue its hot hitting and consistent pitching that was evident in the Indiana series. CSUF’s commanding pitching staff is set to counteract a powerful Wildcat offense.

The Wildcats enter Wednesday’s contest having scored a total of 28 runs in the Tony Gwynn Classic in San Diego. Arizona’s offense currently has six players with batting averages over .300.

The Wildcat offense is led by freshman outfielder Alfonso Rivas III, who has a .476 batting average, 10 hits, four runs scored and seven RBIs.

Other prominent Wildcat players include senior infielder Cody Ramer and senior outfielder Ryan Aguilar. Ramer comes into the game against Fullerton with a .387 batting average, 12 hits and six runs. Aguilar comes in batting .370 with a .593 slugging percentage.

As a team, Arizona’s bats have produced an exceptional .302 batting average thus far in the young season.

Wildcat pitching has been mediocre to start the season with an earned run average of 6.20. Arizona has allowed 44 earned runs and struck out 41 opposing batters.

Arizona’s best arm is junior southpaw JC Cloney, who leads the team’s starters with a 3.95 ERA alongside 10 strikeouts and six earned runs.

Senior outfielder Josh Vargas led Fullerton’s offense against the Hoosiers and comes into the matchup against the Wildcats batting .304 with seven hits and three RBIs.

Another key contributor at the plate for the Titans is sophomore infielder Tristan Hildebrandt, who is batting a .300 batting average with six hits and three RBIs.

Despite CSUF’s impressive series against Indiana, the team batting average remains at a bleak .212 to start the season. However, the pitching staff has been impressive on the mound with a dominant 1.89 ERA.

Freshman Colton Eastman leads the pitching with a 2.25 ERA, 11 strikeouts and three earned runs on 12 innings pitched.

Sophomore southpaw John Gavin has been solid as well, posting a 3.38 ERA along with five strikeouts and four earned runs.

Following the Titans’ quick trip to Tuscon, Fullerton will travel to Lubbock to take on the Texas Tech Red Raiders for a three-game series starting Friday.

CSUF Outside Hitter Gabrielle Barcelos set ups a spike attempt for her teammate against Cal Poly SLO, Sept. 21.

CSUF volleyball loses to UC Santa Barbara, drops eighth-straight game

CSUF volleyball was aced 10 times on the way to a three-set loss against UC Santa Barbara in Titan

CSUF's forward Bass Sarr confronts St. Francis' midfielder Kevin Smolyn during the Titans 2-2 tie.

CSUF men’s soccer draws tie against St. Francis University

Sunday night was repeated doses of deja vu disguised as a soccer game, as Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer

An electric vehicle spot, much like the one where the kicking incident occurred.

CSUF professor ordered to pay student for damaged car

John Short, Cal State Fullerton professor of theatre and dance, was ordered to pay a CSUF student $3,246.44 on