Humanities and Social Sciences building to host new Student Success Center

patrick_do_std
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences’ first floor is under construction as the new Student Success Center is built. (Patrick Do / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton is in the process of building a new student success center on the first floor of the Humanities and Social Sciences building.

The student success center will provide a variety of services and programs primarily for students in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. Staff members will also provide advising to students who are not part of the college, said Lynn Sargeant, associate dean for student relations.

Construction for the new student success center began in December and is expected to be completed by April, said Chris Brown, project manager.

The center, which costs $550,000, will be around 1,500 square feet and will serve about 8,000 students.

The student success center’s goal is to improve the ability of the campus to help student success, Sargeant said.

It will be available for student clubs and organizations and will host workshops for advisor training and information sessions for study abroad programs and internships, Sargeant said.

“We are also doing drive-thru workshops, so students who are graduating that term can come in and meet with an advisor for a quick review of their Titan degree audit, and then they meet with the career specialist,” Britney Hofer Swanson, graduation specialist, said.

This center will also include private offices where students can meet confidentially with an advisor for academic, personal or family reasons.

“We have students coming in for any number of reasons. They may be struggling with a class, they may have trouble with a professor, they may not be happy with a grade,” said David McKenzie, assistant dean for student affairs.

The center will include a remodeled unisex, handicapped-accessible restroom, which was previously in poor condition and difficult to access.

The center will be located in front of the humanities building and will be visible to students from the central quad.
“Being so centralized and visual to these students is not only going to help them know where we are, but help us reach out to our students and better support them,” Swanson said.

The new center and its services will help improve the graduation rate and close the achievement gap, McKenzie said.
Plans are in place to make the new center more available to students who work or commute by keeping it staffed from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sargeant said.

CSUF wants to create student success centers that are located in each of the colleges, including the Irvine campus, Sargeant said.

The student success team is currently located in the anthropology museum in McCarthy Hall in room 424 to provide further information for students.