Spring Concert will cost almost $100k more than last year

Associated Students, Inc., plans on spending almost $100k more on this year’s Spring Concert. ASI lost money last year when rapper Wiz Khalifa canceled one week before the concert took place. (Mariah Carillo / Daily Titan)

Every year, Associated Students, Inc. organizes and books various artists to perform in the Spring Concert at Cal State Fullerton, one of the most anticipated events of the year.

Last year’s Spring Concert was scheduled to feature two popular hip-hop artists, Tyga and Wiz Khalifa. However, Khalifa canceled his show and ASI was forced to book Ludacris instead.

ASI lost around $900 when Khalifa canceled. The money was used to replace advertising materials with Khalifa’s name on it, said Brian Miles Garibay, this year’s ASI Spring Concert coordinator.

Shannon Franklin, last year’s ASI Spring Concert coordinator, explained that there is a high possibility that an artist can drop out if the artist gets another offer. The artist is paid after the show and not upfront, she said.

“The contract was signed on both sides. Other than that, there was no money that he (Wiz Khalifa) owed us,” Franklin said. “There was just money promised after the show.”

Garibay said that ASI goes through a booking agency in order help them in situations similar to last year’s.

“As far as getting artists, artists are people. It really depends on themselves how things will turn out,” Garibay said.

Garibay said ASI goes through all the necessary contracts and paperwork to try to prevent what it can on its side.

Franklin said ASI did not find out until a week before the concert that Wiz Khalifa had canceled his performance. “We found out he was doing Saturday Night Live,” Franklin said.

Franklin was thankful she had a good team with her, including the talent agent, who helped run things smoothly, she said.

A similar situation happened when rapper Kanye West was scheduled to perform in 2007 and dropped out last minute, Garibay said.

However, Franklin said this situation is normal for concerts on college campuses. “There was nothing wrong on our part,” Franklin said. Popular artists are more likely to drop, Franklin said.

About $389,000 will be spent on this year’s Spring Concert, compared to $300,000 spent last year. ASI expects to sell twice as many tickets this year compared to last year, Garibay said.

Stephanie Martinez, a kinesiology major and senior, attended the concert last year.

Martinez thought the concert last year was “too open,” and she eventually lost interest in the performance.

Martinez preferred the concert in Titan Stadium two years ago because it was more interactive and she was able to feel the vibe from everyone else, she said.

In order to avoid a six-hour line to purchase tickets like last year, students will now have the option to buy tickets online, Garibay said.

“We (ASI) signed a contract with a vendor called Eventbrite, and they will be helping us sell them online” he said.

The ticket release date has yet to be announced, but students can expect them to go on sale in early-to-mid April, Garibay said.