Students receive research grant

courtesyofCSUF_std-2
The California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) awarded a $2.96 million grant to Cal State Fullerton’s Bridges to Stem Cell Research program. The program has been funded by CIRM since 2010 and accepts up to 10 students a year for training.
(Courtesy of CSUF)

The California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) awarded a $2.96 million grant to Cal State Fullerton’s Bridges to Stem Cell Research program.

The program has been funded by CIRM since 2010 and accepts up to 10 students a year for training.

The training allows the students to work in a lab in preparation for a 12-month internship on stem cell research, said Nilay Patel, program director.

“There is a huge jump that a student sees from lecture classroom, to a lab classroom, to an independent research project,” Patel said. “We slowly transition them so they can work as independent researchers.”

Students spend seven months training on campus and working with different mentors as they complete research in various fields.

After training at CSUF, students go on to complete a yearlong internship at off-campus institutions such as UCI, Stanford, USC or City of Hope. The internships are paid, full-time positions, Patel said.

The Bridges to Stem Cell Research program saw an increase in funding this year due to extended internship requirements.

“We’ve gone from a 14-month program to a 20-month program” said Alison Miyamoto, the program’s internship coordinator.

In response to the extension, the Bridges to Stem Cell Research program has also developed a partnership with the Center for Internship and Community Engagement in order to set up “patient engagement activities,” Miyamoto said.

By participating in these activities, students will be able to get hands-on experience with people who could benefit from stem cell research, such as those who have Alzheimer’s disease, Miyamoto said.

Eight of the 46 graduates of the program have published research findings in peer-reviewed journals with their internship mentors.

“The program does a wonderful job at not only preparing students for a possible career in research, but also building a strong foundation in stem cell biology/regenerative medicine,” Aurianna Arabpour, CSUF Bridges to Stem Cell graduate, said via email.

Former FBI Director Robert Mueller briefing President Barack Obama about the Boston Bombing

Mueller report finds no evidence of Trump conspiring with Russia

The investigation of President Donald Trump and his campaign led by Robert S. Mueller III was released Sunday. The report

Editorial: From Michelle Obama to Malala Yousafzai, women deserve to be recognized

As a nod to Women’s History Month, it is important to have this special women’s issue to remind everyone

A drawing of alexandria ocasio-cortez with two other women standing behind her and a flag also with the symbol for female is behind them

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a powerful presence in politics

The Democrats have a new media darling worthy of the spotlight: New York House of Representatives member Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez,