Titans continue success in Santa Clara Bronco Classic, take four out of five

(Patrick Do / Daily Titan)
Alexis Gonzalez hit a home run in each of the final two games of the tournament, helping the Titans bounce back from their Saturday loss.
(Patrick Do / Daily Titan)After a 4-1 start at home in the Titan Classic, the Cal State Fullerton softball team stuck to its winning ways in the Santa Clara Bronco Classic this weekend.After a 4-1 start at home in the Titan Classic, the Cal State Fullerton softball team stuck to its winning ways in the Santa Clara Bronco Classic this weekend.

After a 4-1 start at home in the Titan Classic, the Cal State Fullerton softball team stuck to its winning ways in the Santa Clara Bronco Classic this weekend.

The Titans claimed four of five games against the Santa Clara University Broncos, Seattle University Redhawks and the Idaho State University Bengals, improving their overall record to 8-2 on the season.

The Titans fought for their first win in the tournament against Santa Clara on Friday. Fullerton suffered an offensive shortage for most of the game and trailed by one run heading into the seventh inning.

Fullerton went on to score three runs during a two-out rally started by Samantha Vandiver and finished by Sarah Moore, who batted in Missy Taukeiaho and Courtney Rodriguez to win the game 5-3.

Senior right-hand pitcher Jasmine Antunez, who dominated in the Titan Classic, locked the game up for Fullerton and earned the win.

The victory marked Head Coach Kelly Ford’s 100th win with the Titans.

Fullerton took Saturday’s first contest 3-2 over the Seattle Redhawks with the help of its ace, freshman righty Sydney Golden. Golden did not allow a run until the seventh inning, earning the win and improving her record to 4-0 on the season.

The second game on Saturday did not play out as smoothly. The Titans lost a 10-inning duel with the Idaho State Bengals. Senior left-hander Desiree Ybarra picked up the tough loss, pitching a complete game and giving up only five hits, striking out nine.

Senior infielder Taukeiaho and senior outfielders Rodriguez and Vandiver have led the Titans’ offensive front, with Taukeiaho posting a .448 batting average on the season. On Sunday, however, Moore and junior infielder Alexis Gonzalez stole the show in the offense.

The Titans took two blowout mercy wins Sunday with 9-0 against Seattle and 10-0 against Santa Clara. Between the two games, Moore knocked in five runs and Gonzalez hit two home runs with five batted in.

Golden picked up another win against the Broncos and improved to 5-0 on the season.

The Titans will look to ride their momentum to Palm Springs next weekend at the Mary Nutter Classic, where they will take on the University of Utah at 6 p.m. and then the University of Georgia at 8:30 p.m Thursday.

Fullerton will take on Oklahoma State at 8 p.m. Friday, followed by two games Saturday against Brigham Young University and New Mexico State at 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., respectively.