Women’s tennis takes two matches against Pacific and UC Davis

Women’s tennis picks up a pair of wins over Pacific and UC Davis (Matt Corkill / Daily Titan Stock Photo)
Women’s tennis picks up a pair of wins over Pacific and UC Davis

(Matt Corkill / Daily Titan Stock Photo)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team continued its impressive play over the weekend by defeating the University of the Pacific Tigers 5-2 on Friday and the UC Davis Aggies 4-3 on Saturday.

With the victories, the Titans improved their overall record to 6-1 and hold a 1-0 record in the Big West Conference.

Against University of the Pacific

Fullerton’s first test of the weekend came Friday against the Pacific Tigers. The win moved the Titans to a 5-1 overall record and extended their winning streak to three matches prior to entering conference play.

Freshman Masako Makiba won a hard-fought singles match against Pacific’s Sabrina Rodriguez 7-6 (7-4), 6-4. She also won her doubles match with freshman teammate Karla Portalatin, defeating the Tiger duo of Katie Dyson and Maayan Sela with a comfortable 6-1.

Freshman Sarah Nuno did not have it as easy during her singles match, as she was forced to mount a comeback from down a set in order to defeat Maayan Sela 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.

Nuno paired with sophomore Danielle Pham to defeat Yuki Asami and Anneroos Nederstigt 6-3. Pham also pulled off a singles win versus Asami 6-3, 7-5.

Against UC Davis

The Titans traveled to UC Davis on Saturday for their first match of conference play against the Aggies. The Titans edged the Aggies 4-3, extending their winning streak to four.

Once again, Makiba and Nuno were instrumental in leading the Titans to victory. Makiba defeated UC Davis’ Tiffany Pham 7-5, 6-4. Nuno easily won her match 6-1, 6-0 over Kamila Kecki.

Portalatin bounced back from the previous day’s loss against Pacific by defeating Aggie junior Frederique Sleiffer 6-1, 7-6 (9-7).

With the single matches knotted up at three apiece, it was up to the doubles teams to give the Titans the win. The Titans managed to sweep all three doubles matches, securing the 4-3 match win.

Next up for the Titans is a nonconference home match against Cal State LA on Feb. 24, at 1:30 p.m.

This is a photo of a girl who is talking in a microphone to an audience.

Purple Tea Party fundraiser raises awareness on epilepsy

With a personal connection to epilepsy, the current high school Miss California, Grace Edwards, created Talent for Epilepsy, a