Bernie Sanders overtakes Hilary Clinton by relating honestly to the public

During Sunday night’s CNN debate in Flint, Michigan, democratic candidates Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton took the stage to reaffirm their platforms and address issues affecting the country. The debate highlighted Sanders as the most suitable candidate on the democratic side.

Sanders has been the strongest candidate by far. The rest of the candidates, both within the democrats and the GOP, lack the awareness of issues plaguing the majority of American people, consistency on major policies and commitment to changing a stagnant political establishment that Sanders has resonated with.

The latest installment of the democratic debate took place in a city that is currently dealing with a crisis that stemmed from a negligent government: Flint.

The event was described by Democratic National Committee Chair Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz to be “an opportunity to elevate the very serious issues facing the residents of Flint, and it’s also an opportunity to remind voters what democratic leadership can do for the economy.”

It was a perfect stage for progressive-minded candidates to square off.

Don Lemon, anchor of “CNN Tonight with Don Lemon,” asked both candidates about the growing racial issue facing America.

Clinton responded, “I have spent a lot of time with the mothers of African-American children who have lost them, Trayvon Martin’s mother. And I’ve gotten to know them. I’ve listened to them. And it has been incredibly humbling because I can’t pretend to have the experience that you have had and others have had.”

Clinton resorted to focusing on her keywords. When talking about race, the economy or other hard-hitting topics, she relied on emotional grandstanding to drive her points. She personalized the issue and said she’s met with African-American families and connected with them, but hardly touched on any specifics.

When answering the same question, Sanders said, “I would say, and I think it’s similar to what the secretary said, when you’re white, you don’t know what it’s like to be living in a ghetto. You don’t know what it’s like to be poor … I believe that as a nation in the year 2016, we must be firm in making it clear. We will end institutional racism and reform a broken criminal justice system.”

Sanders’ answer reiterated the task at hand and framed it as an issue that needs to be fixed as soon as possible, not just taking action by himself, but by facing the issue as a nation.

Sanders solidified his position on voting against the auto industry bailout when Clinton called him out during the debate.

“When billionaires on Wall Street destroyed this economy, they went to Congress and they said, ‘Please, we’ll be good boys, bail us out.’ You know what I said? I said, ‘Let the billionaires themselves bail out Wall Street.’ It shouldn’t be the middle class of this country,” Sanders answered.

After the Republican candidates made a fool of themselves during the Fox News Debate on March 3, it is clear to see the proper thinking lies in the democratic side of this race.

Out of the two democratic candidates, Bernie Sanders consistently proves himself as the most admirable and qualified to be the democratic nominee who can positively lead this nation in the White House.