Student reports sexual assault in off-campus property

A sexual assault occurred between Thursday and Friday on a Cal State Fullerton off-campus property, according to a University Police timely warning alert.

The assault took place between 10:30 p.m. March 17 and 4:14 a.m. March 18, according to the alert, but University Police officers have not yet determined the exact date or time of the assault.

“We were not able to get an official time or location on where that occurred, so we don’t know if it happened last night or early this morning,” said University Police Capt. Scot Willey.

The victim, a female CSUF student, reported the assault around 4:30 a.m. Friday, Willey said. She did not provide a name or a physical description of the perpetrator, nor did she say whether or not the assault took place at a sorority or fraternity house.

University Police asked the victim whether alcohol was involved but received no response, Willey said.

“That (alcohol playing a part) was kind of an assumption that some of us thought about, but that was not confirmed or denied,” Willey said.

University Police is not planning to investigate the incident because the investigation of the case falls under the jurisdiction of the Fullerton Police Department, and because the victim did not provide enough information to prompt an investigation, Willey said.

Phone calls to CSUF Title IX Coordinator Mary Becerra and the Fullerton Police Department public information officer and crimes persons sergeant had not been returned as of 5:35 p.m. Friday, March 18.

Victims of sexual assault can reach out to the following on-campus resources:

WoMen’s Center (University Hall, room 205)/Confidential Victim Advocate: 657-278-3928

Counseling and Psychological Services: 657-278-3040

Title IX Office: 657-278-4207

Title IX Coordinator Mary Becerra: 657-278-2850

University Police: 657-278-2515.