Titans claim victory in shootout over Wyoming Cowgirls

In Sports, Top Stories
The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team continues its best season start in program history after defeating the University of Wyoming 6-1 on Wednesday afternoon. The Titans now stand with a 13-2 overall record and have yet to lose on their home court. (Nolan Motis/Daily Titan)
The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team continues its best season start in program history after defeating the University of Wyoming 6-1 on Wednesday afternoon. The Titans now stand with a 13-2 overall record and have yet to lose on their home court.
(Nolan Motis/Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team picked up where it left off Tuesday, soundly defeating the Wyoming Cowgirls 6-1 Wednesday afternoon at the Titan Tennis Courts.

Playing the second match of a back-to-back, the Titans saught revenge for last year’s 5-2 loss to the Cowgirls.

The team started off the match well in doubles play. The doubles point has been instrumental to the Titans’ success all season; they have lost every match when they squandered the point.

It was the duo of Camille De Leon and Alexis Valenzuela that once again got things rolling for the Titans, as they defeated Wyoming’s Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva 6-3.

With one match down, CSUF freshmen Masako Makiba and Karla Portalatin defeated Wyoming’s Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert 6-3, allowing the Titans to secure the doubles point for the 12th time out of 14 contests this year.
Singles play ended similarly.

Playing as the No. 4 seed for the second time this season, De Leon looked comfortable as she trounced Tessa Van Der Ploeg with resounding 6-0, 6-1 scorelines.

Top seed Alexis Valenzuela also avenged last year’s loss to Magdalena Stencel. Valenzuela’s forehand was her biggest weapon, as she sprayed the ball in every imaginable section of the court. Eventually, Stencel wore down and succumbed to Valenzuela 6-2, 6-2.

CSUF sophomore Danielle Pham continued to excel in the No. 6 spot. Pham took over quickly in the first, and ran out to a 6-2, 6-2 win over Miranda Talbert. Pham’s win extended her winning streak to six games, her personal best at CSUF.

Portalatin also got in on the action, winning her match against Dorottya Jonas 6-3, 6-4. She improved to 3-0 playing at the No. 3 spot and extended her winning streak to 3 matches.

With the Titans firmly in control and having clinched the victory, Masako Makiba was handed Fullerton’s lone loss of the day, falling 3-6, 3-6 to Elisa Koonik.
No. 2 seed Sarah Nuno capped off another impressive day for the Titans, defeating Nastya Tokareva in a thrilling 7-6, 7-5 match.

The Titans have improved their record to 13-2 while Wyoming dropped to 7-8. With a couple of days off, the Titans will look forward to the visiting University of Nebraska Cornhuskers (14-2).

“We just want to take the next couple days to reset and refocus.” said head coach Dianne Matias. “With Nebraska, I think it’s going to be a fun match. They’re a good team and our job is just to come out ready.”

Looking forward, CSUF will host the Nebraska on Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. at the Titan Tennis Courts.

A recycling center for used batteries located in the Titan Student Union.

Cal State Fullerton collects used batteries for recycling

Cal State Fullerton has a system for the collection of batteries, which are processed and then taken to a

How to get your snow during this Californian winter break

Here in Southern California, winter weather mostly consists of gloomy clouds and the occasional rain shower, but with a

Maricsa Segundo holds her daughter, Caroline, at the beach

CSUF student comes out of postpartum depression stronger

Maricsa Secundo, a MAC makeup artist and biology major at Cal State Fullerton, was thrilled to finally find out