Women’s Day to highlight parity and inclusion in celebration

In Campus News, Local News, National News, News, World News

Cal State Fullerton’s WoMen’s Center is celebrating International Women’s Day by sponsoring a luncheon for women and men of different nationalities on campus Tuesday, March 8.

The theme for the event is “Pledge for Parity: Past, Present, and Future Legacies of Women In Our Lives.” The WoMen’s Center is using the concept of parity, the condition of being equal in status and pay, to highlight issues that women experience.

The event will include keynote speaker Yomaira Figueora, assistant professor of English and African-American studies at Michigan State University, and eight breakout discussion groups.

“Nationally and internationally, this is a day to really recognize what is going on for women,” said Rosalina Camacho, WoMen’s Center’s coordinator.

Figueora will discuss “Faithful Witnessing, Afro-Latinidades, and Making Space For Difference,” according to the event’s flyer.

Following Figueora’s talk, eight breakout sessions led by peer educators from different departments will address issues that concern women globally, such as women in sports, women in the justice system and equal pay.

“We want students to go in and to learn ‘Hey, this is what’s going on in India, this is what’s going on in Asia, in Europe,’” Camacho said. “We want them to leave after each of these 20-minute little sessions with an idea of what they can do or what is happening in other countries to get equality.”

Another facet of the event is a looping video display that shows different issues around the world affecting women.

Ingred Garcia, peer facilitator of Taboo Talks and the video’s producer, labels the work as passive programming.

“It’s programming that’s happening in the background … for any student that is not necessarily interacting or just sitting back. They have something they are viewing based on International Women’s Day,” Garcia said.

The video brings to light the various issues faced by women around the world and ways to overcome them. Garcia uses short clips so that attendees can read about the issues and digest information while watching the video.

One clip that will be included in the compilation is about honor killing in Pakistan, where a father can kill his daughter if she chooses to neglect the husband her father chooses for her marriage.

The event will take place in the Cypress Multi-Purpose Room of Student Housing on Tuesday, March 8 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

More information regarding the Pledge for Parity campaign can be found on the International Women’s Day website.

CSUF men’s soccer falls 2-1 to Pacific in first round of NCAA tournament

STOCKTON, Calif. – The Titans accepted the end of their 2017-18 season by falling to the ground on the

‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ contestants and producers open up about the shows impact on the LGBTQ community

When Von Nguyen, better known as Kimora Blac, got into drag at 18, he only knew the four people